Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Load Bearing Wall - Header Installation Advice

CAL

05-27-16, 09:33 PM   #1  
Load Bearing Wall - Header Installation Advice

Hello!

We recently hired a licensed contractor to remodel the enclosed patio in our house. We hired him to install a header in an opening that is about 16' across. At completion of the project, there were a few things that we discovered that gave us cause for worry and wanted to get your advice on his header installation. I initially questioned his installation but was told that it wasn't any cause for concern but now I'm worried given some other things we discovered. Rather than installing one long header piece, he had them in two pieces. See attached. Do I have cause for alarm?

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-05-27 at 9.32.52 PM.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  44.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

05-28-16, 03:15 AM   #2  
Do you have a picture where we can see the header? What is your header made of; dimensional lumber, LVL, steel? What are the dimensions of your header? What is supporting each end of your header?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-28-16, 03:31 AM   #3  
The 2x framing above the sliding doors is not the header. The header appears to be above it. Was that opening there prior to the door installation? It isn't uncommon for a header to be made out of 2 pieces to get the needed length, actually it would be 4 as the 2xs would be doubled up, the joints would be staggered.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

05-28-16, 04:07 AM   #4  
Fill us in on what other things you discovered. As Dane said, we need to see the header up a little closer. Is it LVL, dimension lumber? How are the ends supported? The blue outline describes your header. The part below are just cripples filling the gap between the door and header.

Name:  header.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  39.8 KB

Group Moderator

NE

05-28-16, 06:17 AM   #5  
I am guessing he did it properly... that the header (Larry's post in blue) is continuous from bearing to bearing as it should be and the homeowners concern is the cripples underneath. (2 pieces = header and cripples) If so, nothing wrong with doing it that way.

You would have to be a real idiot to make a header out of lumber that doesn't span the length of the opening.

CAL

05-28-16, 11:02 AM   #6  
Hi,

The outlined blue part was there previously. Multiple single pane windows used to occupy that space (see attached). As we we were getting quotes, a few contractors mentioned that they needed to install an additional header to reinforce the space. We questioned the method he used as it wasn't what I understood a header to be but being that I'm not an expert in this what so ever, I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

He also gave me more pause for concern when he asked me if I knew how to install our 4 panel sliding door and handed me the instructions (for the record I do not). He eventually installed it but we had to bring someone else in to fix it because the locks wouldn't engage unless we forced it (he told me it was normal, it's not).

I'm sorry, I know this doesn't qualify as DIY. Thank you for your help.

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-05-28 at 11.03.35 AM.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  25.0 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-05-28 at 11.03.24 AM.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  41.3 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-05-28 at 11.03.14 AM.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  26.7 KB

Last edited by Lindie; 05-28-16 at 11:05 AM. Reason: adding images

Group Moderator

NE

05-28-16, 11:21 AM   #7  
Sounds a little odd, that's for sure. Without knowing anything about the construction of your preexisting structure, it's impossible for us to say whether it was sufficient for the span or not. It kind of looks like it was originally constructed like a porch roof box beam (acceptable 50 yrs ago but not today) but it's hard to say with any certainty. Generally windows are never load bearing and need a header above them... so you would kind of expect there to have been a header up there originally. But without seeing or knowing how those window frames were constructed, that's also something that's impossible for us to say. Its possible that the vertical window supports were load bearing if that is indeed a box beam up there.

Forum Topic Moderator

CAL

05-28-16, 04:17 PM   #8  
This all looks proper and professional to me. I can't see the height (size) of the header, but I can see the guys know what they are doing.
For some contractors, making openings like this is pretty routine. I looks like you have all the proper post to beam connections and properly sized posts.

Brian
Cal Contractor

Search this Thread