Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Installing a header in load bearing wall

NC

06-03-16, 10:23 AM   #1  
Installing a header in load bearing wall

I have a typical 2 story home with a load bearing wall running long ways down the center. There is another (false) wall attached parallel to this load bearing wall to hide plumbing.

There is a partial bath (toilet only) on the opposite side of the load bearing wall. I'd like to add a small sink by cutting a hole in the load bearing wall so it exposes the space in the false wall (about a foot of extra floor space).

My question is if I remove 3-4 studs in the load bearing wall and replace them with a header system (as over a door), would I need to support the upstairs floor joists (on either side of the removed studs) until I get the header installed or is there enough support from the remaining studs that I'll be alright without adding the temporary support (assuming I do this as quickly as possible)?

Thanks,
Rut

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

06-03-16, 10:51 AM   #2  
Hard for us to say without knowing anything about the load above. I would not risk it... especially if the floor joists overlap on that wall. It only takes a few minutes to put up a temporary wall. Cut the temporary studs as tight as you can.

You also might want to consider the location your king and trimmer will be sitting. The header will be creating a new point load at that spot so unless this is on a slab, you might need to install "squash blocks" and possibly a new stud or two in the basement under those locations.

NC

06-03-16, 11:06 AM   #3  
Thanks for the reply. There is no basement but a crawl space (same idea I guess). There is a beam running underneath the load bearing wall in the crawl space supported by brick piers.

The load directly above the area I want to remove the studs is a hallway to the other rooms but you are correct in that the above floor joist do overlap on the wall.

Group Moderator

NE

06-03-16, 12:55 PM   #4  
Ok thats good to know. You will need to get into that crawlspace and ensure you have solid blocking directly below your new king studs and trimmers since it will now be a point load. (Between subfloor and the beam.)

Search this Thread