Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Is this concrete base good enough to receive ceramic tile?

Old 06-08-16, 10:15 AM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

I intend to lay 1' x 2' tiles over my concrete basement floor using thinset. I ripped up the old carpet and found a lot of carpet glue. (see photos linked below) You'll notice a lot of small holes left by concrete nails. I think this was evidence of a long gone sleeper floor. I used a carbide scrapper with hot water to get the glue off and a wire brush attachment on my drill to deal with the holes. At this point, I don't believe I can do anymore with just a scrapper. What's left seems to be ingrained in the slight groves left by the float when they finished the concrete. My question for the forum is, is this good enough? I know I'll need to address the holes, but is the overall condition of the concrete now "clean" enough to proceed with tiling?

Thanks for your help.

Before picture:
http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/a...x/carpglue.jpg

After pictures:
http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/a...titled%202.jpg

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/a...cstrix/006.jpg

Old 06-10-16, 04:59 AM
P
Stickshift?

Carbide Tipped?

Old 06-10-16, 05:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I don't see a problem as long as it is flat. Have you run a good straight edge across the floor? No humps, etc. would indicate a good substrate for the tile.

Old 06-10-16, 06:00 AM
P
Chandler,

It's flat, and I will address the holes using thinset, 1/4" thickness at a time. Also, when tiling, I'll use the bonding agent in place of the water when mixing the thinset for extra hold. There's a hairline crack in one area for which I'll use tape or "felt" in conjunction with liquid anti-fracture membrane. But my main concern is the old carpet glue.

Previously, I got advice from this forum to scrap it all off making sure not to use any short of chemicals or glue remover or anything like that. Have I gone far enough or does it have to truly look like bare concrete? Obviously I want to do a good job, but further scraping would be very labor intensive so it would be a big price to pay just for peace of mind, and I'm not even sure what further scraping would do unless I'm prepared to start etching off a thin layer of the concrete itself.

Old 06-10-16, 05:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Picture 2 and 3 indicate a lot of work has been done. I would have no problem laying tile on that surface, provided it was flat as you say it is.

Old 06-11-16, 05:47 AM
P
Chandler. Okay, great. Thank you for the feedback.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: