Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Is this concrete base good enough to receive ceramic tile?

PA

06-08-16, 09:15 AM   #1  
Is this concrete base good enough to receive ceramic tile?

I intend to lay 1' x 2' tiles over my concrete basement floor using thinset. I ripped up the old carpet and found a lot of carpet glue. (see photos linked below) You'll notice a lot of small holes left by concrete nails. I think this was evidence of a long gone sleeper floor. I used a carbide scrapper with hot water to get the glue off and a wire brush attachment on my drill to deal with the holes. At this point, I don't believe I can do anymore with just a scrapper. What's left seems to be ingrained in the slight groves left by the float when they finished the concrete. My question for the forum is, is this good enough? I know I'll need to address the holes, but is the overall condition of the concrete now "clean" enough to proceed with tiling?

Thanks for your help.

Before picture:
http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/a...x/carpglue.jpg

After pictures:
http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/a...titled%202.jpg

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/a...cstrix/006.jpg

Sponsored Links

PA

06-10-16, 03:59 AM   #2  
Stickshift?

Carbide Tipped?

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

06-10-16, 04:13 AM   #3  
I don't see a problem as long as it is flat. Have you run a good straight edge across the floor? No humps, etc. would indicate a good substrate for the tile.

PA

06-10-16, 05:00 AM   #4  
Chandler,

It's flat, and I will address the holes using thinset, 1/4" thickness at a time. Also, when tiling, I'll use the bonding agent in place of the water when mixing the thinset for extra hold. There's a hairline crack in one area for which I'll use tape or "felt" in conjunction with liquid anti-fracture membrane. But my main concern is the old carpet glue.

Previously, I got advice from this forum to scrap it all off making sure not to use any short of chemicals or glue remover or anything like that. Have I gone far enough or does it have to truly look like bare concrete? Obviously I want to do a good job, but further scraping would be very labor intensive so it would be a big price to pay just for peace of mind, and I'm not even sure what further scraping would do unless I'm prepared to start etching off a thin layer of the concrete itself.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

06-10-16, 04:52 PM   #5  
Picture 2 and 3 indicate a lot of work has been done. I would have no problem laying tile on that surface, provided it was flat as you say it is.

PA

06-11-16, 04:47 AM   #6  
Chandler. Okay, great. Thank you for the feedback.

Search this Thread