Question about kinds of thinset

Old 06-09-16, 07:36 AM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Question about kinds of thinset

I'm a little confused by the thinset selection over at my local Home Depot.

1) What kind of thinset do I used to bond a wood subfloor to cement board?

This one?
Custom Building Products VersaBond Gray 50 lb. Fortified Thin-Set Mortar-MTSG50 - The Home Depot

2) What kind of thinset do I use to bond ceramic tile (1'x2') directly to concrete?

This one?
Custom Building Products CustomBlend Gray 50 lb. Standard Thinset Mortar-CBTSG50 - The Home Depot

3) What kind of thinset do I use to bond ceramic tile to cement board? Same as one used to bind ceramic tile to concrete?

Thanks!

Old 06-09-16, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Custom Building Products has a bunch of info at their website including technical specs, case studies and even interactive tools that suggest which products to use for your project. Here is their homeowner website:

http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/homeowners.aspx

I used the table on page 14 of this document:

http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...n-brochure.pdf

I ended up using Versabond for the CBU then set the tiles with Flexbond on both floor and shower walls. None of my tiles were large format though.

Old 06-10-16, 08:04 AM
P
Thanks. Your link and that particular chart were helpful.

Because the porcelain tiles are large (1'x2'), and because it's going over concrete, it seems VersaBond-LFT is the right product for me. It stinks that this product is about triple the cost of regular thinset.

Custom Building Products VersaBond-LFT 50 lb. White Fortified Medium Bed Mortar-VBLFTMW50 - The Home Depot

Unlike other thinsets, this one doesn't specifically say it can be used with the "admix concentrate". Does anyone know if it's okay to use?

I've done a few tiling projects, but not with tiles this large. As for what Trowl to use, for 12" x 24" tile, I'm thinking 3/8" x 3/8" or maybe even 1/2" x 1/2" (square or U notches). With this size, I wouldn't plan to have to back butter the tiles. Does this sound about right? Any tips on working with larger tiles?

Thanks.

correction: In my OP I said the tiles were ceramic, but they are actually porcelain.

Old 06-10-16, 08:34 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
I use a 1/4x1/4 notched trowel and back butter each one to ensure coverage and grab. Trying to float on 1/2x1/2 inch trowels is not for the novice IMO. I have a 1/2" trowel, used it exactly once when I was tiling a porch with a exposed aggregate surface and needed the thickness. Your original choices should be fine, I liken LFT thinsets more for WALL tile installation where grab and stickiness is a desired trait.

Old 06-10-16, 10:04 AM
P
czizzi,

Thanks for the feedback. I don't mind back buttering if necessary and I'm certainly a novice but from what I've read even 16" x 16" usually require more than a 1/4" x 1/4". But have you ever worked with large tiles before? I thought the idea behind LFT thinset had more to do with the weight of the tile pushing it down so you need thinset that wouldn't flatten out too quick before setting.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: