Removing support posts in open space

Old 06-26-16, 01:06 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing support posts in open space

When you walk into a storefront space, you see those metal support posts that run up to support the roof overhead. Can those be removed and replaced with a beam of some sort, spanning over to two nearby posts in the next wall over in the same way you would do that in a house where you remove a wall to combine two rooms into one?

I dont' know why it would be different and, in these storefronts, the only thing above the ceiling is an air conditioner or nothing at all but landlords seem reluctant to do that. Is there a major expense involved? More complicated?

Old 06-26-16, 01:17 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
but landlords seem reluctant to do that. Is there a major expense involved? More complicated?
Yes and yes. First you need an structural engineer to determine what can and can't be done.
the only thing above the ceiling is an air conditioner or nothing at all
There is the weight of the roof structure. The weight of water when it rains and the weight of snow and ice in the winter.

Old 06-26-16, 01:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,348 Votes on 1,246 Posts
Usually in order to do what you are considering now..... there would need to be a good sized visible steel beam installed to bridge the unsupported area. Not sure how pleasing that would look.

Old 06-26-16, 01:57 PM
D
Well, both you guys have told me things I already know. My question, however, asks why it's not done and is it prohibitively expensive.

Old 06-26-16, 02:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Reasons: It is prohibitively expensive as compared to straight structural building. And that is why it is not done. Not sure what you want us to say.

Old 06-26-16, 05:14 PM
D
How expensive is that? There are three to five posts, I'm told. So is it $5000 or $50,000?

Old 06-26-16, 05:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
What did your structural engineer suggest? Remember we are not looking at your building, and would have to defer structural changes to a pro. Then you can get three local estimates to determine the cost. It may truly not be a DIY project.

Old 06-27-16, 06:57 AM
I seriously doubt if the owner of a commercial building would allow anyone to make structural changes to a building.

Whenever commercial buildings are altered, it's usually part of a major rebuild. Like redoing a strip mall for appearance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: