Hip Roof Ridge Rafter Cracked

Old 06-30-16, 07:21 AM
Hip Roof Ridge Rafter Cracked

I need some input. I had a tree hit my garage and my luck a branch hit right on top of one of the ridge rafters(beam) that make up one side of the hip roof and cracked it.

I guess the first question is do I need to replace the 2x10 ridge rafter or can I sister it in? Because this is one of the four ridge rafter and other 2x6 rafters tie into it, I know I cant sister the entire width of the rafter.

If I have to replace it (and I know it will be a huge job). Will I have to tear off the shingles and decking? Will I have to build temporary walls to hold up the 2x6 rafters when I disconnect them from the ridge rafter?

Another idea I thought also (after building a temp support wall under the 2x6 rafters) was to cut short each of the 2x6 rafters shorter to allow for the width of another 2x10 to sister completely on the ridge rafter. Doing onside then the other.

Any input would be helpful or does anyone have another idea or thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-16, 07:40 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I moved your question into its own thread, as you'll get better visibility than tacked on to the bottom of an older one.

Hang tight and someone with knowledge in this area should be by shortly.

Have you talked to your insurance company about this?

Old 06-30-16, 07:44 AM
Thank you for your help. I am new to posts. I have not talked to insurance company yet, as I was the one cutting the tree down when it went the wrong direction.

Old 06-30-16, 07:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
In this instance, pictures would sure help.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Keep in mind that pictures need to be scaled down to web quality in order to be uploaded to the forums.

Old 06-30-16, 07:59 AM
Group Moderator
Ah, I assumed this was storm damage. Wouldn't hurt to talk to the insurance company, you don't have to file a claim.

Old 06-30-16, 08:56 AM
I'll wait for the pictures, but the first thought that comes to mind would be a sister a step below the damaged one. Guess that would be a step sister.

Bud

Old 06-30-16, 09:07 AM
Group Moderator
Dang, Bud - that was awful

Old 06-30-16, 11:12 AM
This is twp pictures of my problem.
Name:  300-1.jpg
Views: 1234
Size:  30.9 KB

Name:  300-2.jpg
Views: 3031
Size:  32.4 KB

Old 06-30-16, 04:28 PM
Group Moderator
I would say the answer to most of your questions is yes. I would replace it, not sister it as sistering would be way more work than just cutting it out to begin with. You have multiple rafters to replace anyway, so I would just remove all the 1x6 sheathing on that quarter of the roof, open it up, remove the damaged rafters completely and redo as much of it as you need to.

Old 06-30-16, 07:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yeah, you won't get a sistering recommendation from me. That is pretty severe as far as damage and it need to be rebuilt.

Old 06-30-16, 07:24 PM
The sister thought was before the pictures and the description was a cracked ridge. That one is destroyed, plus other rafters are damaged. X has it correct, that needs a major repair and that introduces another element, should you DIY this?

Pretty big project to diy and do it fast enough to avoid weather issues. IMO, that's a $10,000 plus repair and needs to go through your home owners insurance. Get them in the loop ASAP.

Depending upon the age of current shingles those two sides may need to be completely replaced to match properly. Then the boards will have to come off, rafters replaced and new sheathing and so on. Then, there will undoubtedly be some drywall repair necessitated from either the tree or from the construction. Big project to do it right.

Bud