Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

rotted sill plate. is there only one way to fix it?

CT

07-16-16, 04:55 PM   #1  
rotted sill plate. is there only one way to fix it?

i believe it is called the sill plate.
wood. lays on top of the cement foundation. floor joists lay on top of it. then the floor and a wood stud wall.
wood stud wall is gone, down to the floor joists, it was rotted. it is a 40' long wall, 10' section in the middle is rotted.
exterior, load bearing wall. single story.
false wall is supporting the roof rafters.
is there an easy way to replace the sill plate?
or is jacking the floor joists with floor jacks and cutting and removing the sill plate the only way?
this wall was built in the 1960's. i dont see any bolts or studs to hold the sill plate to the foundation. probably just used cement nails, if any anchor at all.
it is a poured cement foundation. crawl space in this section.
i was really hoping there was an easier way.
i am in CT, i assume i should replace it with pressure treated?
should i anchor it to the foundation, somehow? Ramset?
with the wall and floor gone i have easy access to the sill plate, but floor jacks in a crawl space wont be fun.
reason for the rot was a leaking roof. water went under the roof shingles, then behind the wall shingles.
floor joists and sill plate are both 1 1/2 x 7 1/4 .

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

07-16-16, 05:17 PM   #2  
Is this a continuation of this thread? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/fr...ml#post2547664

Can you post some pictures of this situation so we can see what you are seeing?

CT

07-17-16, 10:08 AM   #3  
yes, same wall. i just got down to the footing. i didnt consider it part of the same thread, but if you would like to move it and combine them, i will post on the first thread.
i will go get some photos now and post them

CT

07-17-16, 10:53 AM   #4  
Name:  0717161312a - Copy.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  44.8 KB

i am standing on the floor looking down.
existing tile floor is lower right, in front of that is the footing. on top of the footing is the rotted sill plate.
everything to the right is non rotted wall and is staying. rest of rotted wall is to the left.
non rotted floor joists are in the center, they are staying.
the star wars looking laser thing at the top is sun light coming through the top of the tarp. that mess at the top is ground level.
steam radiator valve is to the left.
what might look like missing footing in the center is a window well.

so, question is, is there only one way to get the rotted sill plate out from under the floor joists? and that is to use floor jacks to raise the floor joists? i was hoping for something easier. it is a crawl space. about 3' high. dirt floor.
then, should i replace the sill plate with pressure treated and find a way to anchor it to the foundation? i dont see any anchors on the old sill plate.
also, i said the foundation was poured concrete, it is concrete blocks.

Search this Thread