Plywood over subfloor ?

Old 07-25-16, 06:53 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plywood over subfloor ?

Long story short I've gotten tons of different answers and am wondering if there's a flooring pro that can give me the right answer. Long story short toilet leaked, ripped up tile and 1/2'' plywood. I have 3/4'' subfloor planks. I cut new 1/2'' plywood and some said nail it, some said screw it.

And to reduce future squeeking liquid nails subfloor. So i glued then screwed, and am now wondering which is right ring shank/screw shank nails, or the 1-1/4'' screws I used? Now I'm reading only the nails or staples should have been used.

If not is it too late to use new fastners close to the ones I already used then remove all the screws and fill the holes, or am I fine? I'm putting schluter ditra and tile over it. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-16, 08:30 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Use exterior deck screws to secure the the subfloor, any other screw will need to be changed out. Screws are superior to ring shanked nails in the long run.

Old 07-25-16, 08:41 PM
E
I used 1-1/4'' deck screws.

Old 07-26-16, 03:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
I screwed down 3/8" plywood over the subfloor in my house. Not knowing any better at the time I used drywall screws but 20 yrs later everything is fine with no squeaks

Just to be clear, I don't recommend using drywall screws!!! I probably just got lucky. Your deck nails should be fine.

Old 07-26-16, 07:38 AM
J
Use screws. SPAX are good and don't require predrilling. HD carries them. Don't use drywall screws. Screws into the subfloor planks too to supplement the nails....could also remove subfloor plank nails and replace with screws to ensure no future squeaks.