Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Can I really hang all my floating walls from my floor truss I beams??

Old 07-25-16, 09:20 PM

I'm working on framing my basement with all floating walls and I start thinking.... Can my floor trusses (wooden I beams) really support the weight of all these walls and doors? Should I maybe be tacking my exterior framing to the exterior concrete to help relieve some of the load?

Thanks in advance!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  32.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-16, 03:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Yes, your floor joists can handle the weight. Since your profile is not complete, we can only assume you are located in Colorado.

Old 07-26-16, 02:02 PM
Thank you Chandler! Yes Lakewood, Colorado, I just updated my profile.

Floating basement walls are not code for me here in Lakewood but they are for everyone around me so I'm just being cautious.

Old 07-26-16, 02:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you acquired a good code worthy method of doing it? Douglas County probably could get you a definitive reference for it. I had to go through my Daughter's house in Highlands Ranch and finish the floating part for them some time back. First time I ever saw such.

Old 08-08-16, 03:43 PM
Hi chandler, I've just been reading, you tubing and looking at my neighbors basements. Inspector stops by every so often and gives me pointers.... The floor directly above my hanging walls is noisy now. Almost sounds like hanging walls are banging around when I walk above them. They are tight (some screwed and some nailed) - not sure what's causing it...