Screws for squeaky sub-floor

Old 08-31-16, 12:42 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Screws for squeaky sub-floor

Hi all!
I ripped up old carpet and want to install hardwood flooring. The second level has a 3/4 " plywood sub-floor. However it's squeaky in places. It was recommended to screw it down to help with the issue. I didn't know what screws to use and I found out that the drywall screws, recommended by some, are a no-no. Then I found deck screws. And it turns out there are floor screws as well. So I'm looking for advice on which screws would be best. I probably want to stay away from Philips head, but which ones will guarantee tight connection between the plywood and the joists? Some kind of a "draw tight" screw?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-16, 12:49 PM
J
SPAX screws work well. They don't require pilot hole predrilling. HD carries them. Also check that the squeaking is not coming from the subfloor panels rubbing against each other. And if you do find a nail is squeaking take the time to remove it.

Old 08-31-16, 01:00 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Keep in mind this works best if you're standing directly over the spot where you're drilling so that your weight is helping hold the two surfaces together as you're installing the screw.

Old 08-31-16, 07:44 PM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
If someone used non T X G subflooring, no subfloor glue on top of the joist then you may need more then just screws.
Any bugle screws will work, but if T x G was not used the boards will be squecking where the boards rub together.
Going to have to make a saw cut between the panels, screw down what there and go over the whole floor with 1/2 subfloor rated plywood making sure the seams do not line up with the seams below and the seams for the underlayment are not nailed into the joist below.
Need to be nailed every 4" on the edges and 6 to 8" in the field.
I use a narrow crown staple gun instead of ring shanked underlayment nails, far faster and great holding power.

Old 10-05-16, 10:41 AM
T
Thank you for the replies! Sorry didn't reply earlier. A bit busy. I'll have to stick with just using the screws. The squeaks seem to come from the center of some boards and not the edges. I can't find Spax locally, but a local hardware store carries Power Pro by Hillman. These are Torx drive. Would those be OK? Also how long should they be?

What function do the spiral grooves between the threads and the un-threaded shank have? I'm attaching a picture.

Attached Images  
Old 10-05-16, 11:10 AM
S
Group Moderator
I wouldn't use those if I couldn't get to the subfloor. This is what I would use through carpet: https://www.amazon.com/OBERRY-ENTERP...%2Bscrews&th=1

Old 10-05-16, 01:25 PM
T
The sub-floor is exposed. So would these be OK? And what length? The sub-floor is 3/4 " plywood.

Old 10-05-16, 01:51 PM
S
Group Moderator
The sub-floor is exposed
Ah, big difference. They would probably be fine but deck screws are the usual choice if the subfloor is exposed and would potentially be cheaper. I would think that size or even a little shorter would be ok but I would go no shorter than 1 1/2".

Old 10-05-16, 02:11 PM
T
Is there a big difference between these wood screws and deck screws?

Old 10-05-16, 02:17 PM
S
Group Moderator
Mostly cost, I would assume.

Old 10-05-16, 02:25 PM
J
The ridges between the threads and the screw head and the ridges under the screw head will cut the shank hole and the countersink hole for the screw head.

Old 10-06-16, 06:57 PM
T
Ahh... I see. Thanks! So I'll get those and hopefully make the squeaks a thing of the past.

Old 10-13-16, 01:45 PM
T
Quick update: pretty good screws, but a pilot hole is required as it is difficult to get them started.

Old 10-13-16, 03:54 PM
J
Next time use SPAX.....no predrilling.