Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sloping floor in older house

MA

10-17-16, 09:20 AM   #1  
Sloping floor in older house

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to get some opinions and options.

I have a 1940s house and some of the floors are a bit uneven. I already re-did the kitchen and used floor leveler to even the floor. Now I am planning on ripping up the carpet and having the hardwood refinished but it looks like the dip next to the kitchen will be noticeable. I want to say the dip is about 1/2 and inch.

Should I worry about this or just ignore it? It seems to be too late to jack up the floor as the kitchen is already leveled.

Is there an easy way to deal with sloping/dipping hardwood floors?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

CAL

10-17-16, 02:50 PM   #2  
Just ignore it. I used Oak reducers between the kitchen and other rooms (all oak). One I had to custom taper but all looks fine.

Brian
Cal Contractor

Group Moderator

NC

10-17-16, 04:48 PM   #3  
First figure out why your floors have sagged. Generally I remedy it from below by addressing the structure that has sagged or sunk.

VA

10-17-16, 05:11 PM   #4  
I'm with Dane on this one.
Any older home I've ever worked on had over spanned, under sized joist, rare to see proper footings under any beams.
This all needed to be addressed long before any new flooring went in.

MA

10-18-16, 05:40 AM   #5  
There are plenty of footings in the basement at the moment, you can even see the ones that were added fairly recently. My concern is if I were to jack up the floor now, the kitchen tile floor would become uneven.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-18-16, 05:45 AM   #6  
Is it a gradual dip? or will it affect the hardwood laying over it?

Having the grout crack would also be a concern if you level the floor at this time. Unfortunately you are stuck with what you have unless willing to go all in.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

MA

10-18-16, 06:03 AM   #7  
The hardwood is already down (under the carpet), it's just getting refinished. My concern was the hardwood would look uneven, but there really isnt anything I can do at the moment.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-18-16, 06:22 AM   #8  
You might consider having it finished with a satin poly. The shinier the floor finish is the more it will bring attention to any defects in the floor.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread