Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Surface prep for recoating solid floor with water-based poly?

Old 10-21-16, 10:35 AM

We recently had a 10' x 12' bedroom floor (solid oak) patched and refinished. The floor guy put 3 coats of satin water-based poly on it, buffing between coats. Looks nice but it's significantly more raw-feeling than the rest of the house (which is the same flooring, also done with water-based satin poly about 4 years back). The new floor doesn't seem as well-sealed (for example, a speck of dried compound got embedded in the grain when we were sweeping, whereas it just wipes off the other floors).

Anyway, I was thinking about putting on another coat or two myself, rather than trying to get the floor guy to come back.

My question: how much surface prep do I need to do here? I assume I need to scuff the floor somehow but would rather avoid having to rent any machines.

Also, as my flooring experience is limited to nailing in engineered floor, any tips or recommended products/tools are very welcome. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-16, 10:40 AM
Group Moderator
Poly needs a light scuff sanding (and removal of sanding dust) between coats to promote adhesion of the layers.

Old 10-21-16, 10:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A light sanding with an orbital sander would be sufficient, don't forget to remove the dust!

Old 10-26-16, 11:40 AM
(belated) thanks for the advice stickshift and marksr. Anyone have a particular waterbased poly that you'd recommend?

Old 10-26-16, 11:42 AM
Group Moderator
I've never used water based but I use Minwax when I use oil based. That said, I think there are some brands that are better for floors (I don't have wood floors...) so let's see what Mark recommends.

Old 10-26-16, 11:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I seldom use water based poly. You'll find the better ones at dedicated hardwood floor stores. I used one that had a catalyst you mixed in that did real good ..... but I've long since forgotten the brand name.