Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Surface prep for recoating solid floor with water-based poly?

NY

10-21-16, 10:35 AM   #1  
Surface prep for recoating solid floor with water-based poly?

We recently had a 10' x 12' bedroom floor (solid oak) patched and refinished. The floor guy put 3 coats of satin water-based poly on it, buffing between coats. Looks nice but it's significantly more raw-feeling than the rest of the house (which is the same flooring, also done with water-based satin poly about 4 years back). The new floor doesn't seem as well-sealed (for example, a speck of dried compound got embedded in the grain when we were sweeping, whereas it just wipes off the other floors).

Anyway, I was thinking about putting on another coat or two myself, rather than trying to get the floor guy to come back.

My question: how much surface prep do I need to do here? I assume I need to scuff the floor somehow but would rather avoid having to rent any machines.

Also, as my flooring experience is limited to nailing in engineered floor, any tips or recommended products/tools are very welcome. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

10-21-16, 10:40 AM   #2  
Poly needs a light scuff sanding (and removal of sanding dust) between coats to promote adhesion of the layers.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-21-16, 10:41 AM   #3  
A light sanding with an orbital sander would be sufficient, don't forget to remove the dust!

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

NY

10-26-16, 11:40 AM   #4  
(belated) thanks for the advice stickshift and marksr. Anyone have a particular waterbased poly that you'd recommend?

Group Moderator

WI

10-26-16, 11:42 AM   #5  
I've never used water based but I use Minwax when I use oil based. That said, I think there are some brands that are better for floors (I don't have wood floors...) so let's see what Mark recommends.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-26-16, 11:46 AM   #6  
I seldom use water based poly. You'll find the better ones at dedicated hardwood floor stores. I used one that had a catalyst you mixed in that did real good ..... but I've long since forgotten the brand name.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread