Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Temporary Support While Installing 7 Foot Beam

VA

11-10-16, 02:35 PM   #1  
Temporary Support While Installing 7 Foot Beam

I'm going to be opening up a 6' wide by 7' tall section of exterior wall to allow passage into my new addition and need to know how to support the load while installing the beam, if even necessary. It is a balloon wall and there is no floor above--just the roof. I'd say about four rafters max are supported above this section of wall. Do I just work quickly do I need to temporarily support the wall somehow? Oh, and it's a cathedral ceiling, so the ceiling is at a 45 degree angle. Is the only safe way to notch the 2x4's and do one side of the 2x12 header at a time?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

11-10-16, 03:38 PM   #2  
Can't see what you are doing, or how the roofline is framed, (do rafters land on this wall at the top or are they parallel to this wall) but you would probably be wise to temporarily lag bolt a 2x10 or 2x12 across the interior side of the studs just above your new header, extending it to the next stud beyond your king studs. It will hold everything together while you cut. If you wanted to support it with a couple 2x4s vertically on each end it wouldn't hurt.

VA

11-10-16, 03:44 PM   #3  
The rafters arw perpendicular. I thought about securing a temporary header above like you mentioned, so good to hear that's a viable option. I'd rather not remove the siding on the exterior at this time

VA

11-10-16, 04:29 PM   #4  
My new header will also need to support the beam shown in the image below. Does this reduce my allowable span? I believe the maximum span for double 2x12's is just over 7 feet. This beam gives lateral support to the balloon wall, so I imagine there is at least one 2x12 notched into the balloon wall that spans the entire width of the wall, so hopefully that is enough support so that I don't have to reduce my span. Come to think of it, if that's the case, half of the header may already be installed for me. I'll just have to notch out the opposite side over my opening and slide another 2x12 in there. This may be easier than I thought.

Name:  BalloonWallOpening.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  25.4 KB

VA

11-10-16, 04:47 PM   #5  
I tapped on the wall, and it sounds hollow on either side of that beam, but solid underneath (likely tripled up 2x4's). Not sure how this provides any lateral support if it isn't tied into the entire wall.

VA

11-10-16, 04:59 PM   #6  
Best I can tell, this is what the stud finder is showing...

Attachment 72992

Forum Topic Moderator

CAL

11-10-16, 05:09 PM   #7  
I deleted my post because I saw you are trying to support a beam with cross beam under it.
That changes things IMO from just an opening in a wall. I would hold on for further advice.
My concern is that your new outer posts supporting the new header or beam will need footings.
I say this because maybe the existing beam is not only to provide lateral support, but support the ridge beam also and transfer the roof load to the foundation (hence the post under the beam).

Brian
Cal Contractor

VA

11-10-16, 06:26 PM   #8  
Need footings? There's a concrete foundation underneath. The studs don't extend down to the foundation though, they are supported by the floor joists, which are resting on the foundation. Extending the jack studs down to the foundation wall wouldn't be a big deal.

ME

11-10-16, 06:48 PM   #9  
Just to add, instead of using 2x12's, consider engineered lumber, lvl's. Much stronger and basically the same effective size.

Bud

Group Moderator

NE

11-10-16, 08:15 PM   #10  
I don't see a problem. Once you remove drywall, it will probably clear up some of your questions.

Can't see the attachment in post #6.

You can't splice headers, so if you are thinking about doing that, don't.

VA

11-11-16, 04:26 AM   #11  
Not sure what happened. Here is what my stud finder is showing me. Apparently there are two 2x4s running horizontally that tie the balloon framing together to give it lateral support, and these 2x4's tie into that beam. So my new beam would pick up the weight of the existing beam, which doesn't have any vertical load. I won't know exactly what I'm working with until I get that wall opened up, which I am not yet ready to do.

Name:  BalloonWallOpening_2.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  25.7 KB

Last edited by mossman; 11-11-16 at 05:05 AM.

VA

11-11-16, 05:21 AM   #12  
Just a guess, but I believe I may have something like such. Still not clear on how that beam is tie into everything. It has to provide lateral support for that entire wall. Maybe it only goes halfway into the wall and has notched studs behind it, and those studs are tied into the rest of the wall with horizontal 2x4's.

Name:  BalloonWallFraming.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  28.4 KB

Forum Topic Moderator

CAL

11-11-16, 06:36 AM   #13  
Extending the jack studs down to the foundation wall wouldn't be a big deal.
I agree now that opening the wall shouldn't be a problem. Looks like all that's needed is some pretty simple framing.

Brian
Cal Contractor

Search this Thread