Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page > Sagging floor beam, add support brace/ledger onto masonry fireplace?

Sagging floor beam, add support brace/ledger onto masonry fireplace?

Old 11-25-16, 07:15 AM
Sagging floor beam, add support brace/ledger onto masonry fireplace?

We need some help figuring how to "easily" support a sagging beam for the 2nd floor in a 100-year old house without making a code violation.

We don't necessarily need to straighten the beam, just properly support it. We are planning to replace the floor and level it by sistering the joists.

The beam is going along the rear side of massive old masonry riverbed stone / brick fireplace, and my first thought was to somehow attach the beam to that. Either bolt the beam directly using anchor bolt, or put a ledger under the beam, or some kind of braces bolted to the fireplace.

I've tried to look up whether I'm allowed to support a beam on the masonry fireplace per the code, but haven't really had any success finding anything.

Any ideas? We live in CT. (I plan on going to the local building department eventually, but my experience is that they are a little dismissive unless my questions are very well-defined and specific).

I've included some pictures

Name:  IMG_20161122_164113.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  36.3 KBName:  IMG_20161122_164051.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  29.3 KBName:  IMG_20161122_164138.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  25.7 KBName:  IMG_20161122_164204.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  34.5 KBName:  IMG_20161125_084616.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  46.6 KB

Last edited by milforddiy; 11-25-16 at 07:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-16, 10:03 AM
Group Moderator
My advice would be to get the beam straighter. Maybe not perfectly straight, but better. You won't straighten a bowed 100 yr old board anyway. But if you get half of it it's better than none, then support it with a post.

No you should not anchor to the chimney. Going to the inspectors with this will likely open a can of worms because nowadays chimneys must have a firebox and be double walled which old houses were usually not. If it's not double walled they won't want wood near it whether it is currently in use or not, given that someday it might be.

I would say that if you are taking the boiler brick down, and if that would be a good location for a post, you might be able to use the basement portion of the boiler chimney as your column by filling it with cement and rebar up to just below the subfloor level. Then patch your floor and install your post. Your post will then be fully supported all the way down to the foundation. If the boiler chimney is coming out entirely, frame in the hole in the floor joists then install a 6x6 post or a lolly column in place of the chimney to transfer the load. You want probably 3 pc of cross bracing in the floor wherever your posts (one in the basement, one on first floor) will be landing.

Search this Thread