Partition wall between joists

Old 12-06-16, 11:41 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Partition wall between joists

This is a new situation for me. I want to build a partition wall that lands on the top plate between two parallel ceiling joists - normally I would block between the two joists and then secure the partition wall to the blocks. I have a problem the space between the joists is 100% filled to the based of the hoists with two 2" HVAC vent pipes preventing me from blocking in this space. I cannot relocate the HVAC vent pipe without violating mechanical code in this situation. Does anyone know how I can attach a partition wall between two parallal joists that I cannot block?

Old 12-07-16, 04:39 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I'm not a code person, but do you have room for a nailing strip along the bottom of each joist to allow you to bridge the space between with 1/2" plywood. Then that plywood becomes your attachment point and nailing surface for the drywall. This assumes I understand what you have , not awake yet.

If zero extra space then you could use ac plywood for those joists and mate your drywall to the plywood, not ideal.

Or you could strap the ceiling.

Bud

Old 12-07-16, 04:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
You don't have 1 1/2" or even 3/4" below these pipes to put your blocking flat?

Old 12-07-16, 06:00 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hard to believe right, that I can't fit even 1 1/2 or 3/4 in there - ya the vent pipes, I already moved up level dead even with the joists and can't go any higher or else I will remove the slope and the slope is a big deal for me because I already have a monster of an ice mountain by my back door from condensation - and the ice never melts, just keeps getting bigger all winter.

The idea of blocking flat over the joist and strapping the ceiling, yes that would work, I would only loose a nominal amount of ceiling and strapping is nice anyway for hanging sheetrock.

You guys have great suggestions, thanks!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: