Running stiff conduit through joists?

Old 12-12-16, 06:32 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running stiff conduit through joists?

Hey, in setting up my home theater, I'd like to run some conduit from my theater wall to my projector for future cable runs. However, the flexible conduit is super expensive, and I can't get it locally, so I was hoping to use some stiff conduit pipe (pvc) that I can get at my local hardware store. Only problem is I need to run it through the joists perpendicular. Being stiff, how do you get it up through the first couple joists, to run it through multiple joists? Do you have to just cut it into small pieces, and use couplers in between every joist?

Not sure if I explained it well, but basically, there is no place to set the conduit even with the joists to start it going through the holes I drill. Has to start at an angle, so not sure if it will be able to bend enough to go through the the other joists. Am I clear as mud?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-16, 06:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,104 Votes on 1,024 Posts
Places like depot and lowes sell smurf tubing. It shouldn't be that expensive.
What size are you running ?

To install conduit like you're talking about..... yes... you have to cut it in short pieces and rejoin it. Good luck.

Is there no attic above ?

Old 12-12-16, 07:08 PM
P
Originally Posted by PMPJmax
Places like depot and lowes sell smurf tubing. It shouldn't be that expensive.
What size are you running ?

To install conduit like you're talking about..... yes... you have to cut it in short pieces and rejoin it. Good luck.

Is there no attic above ?
Sorry, forgot to mention, this is in the basement, so above the joists is the upstairs, so can't run it over the joists. So the only reason I wasn't going with smurf tube is because I couldn't find it in a diameter larger than 3/4". Most HDMI cables are about that wide, and it would be pretty tight. I was really hoping to do 1.25" conduit, to make it easier to pull stuff. However, now I do see that Home Depot carries 1" smurf tube, which I suppose I could get to work. I wonder if I found schedule 20 pvc conduit, if it would be bendable enough to get to fit through.

Well thanks, you've answered my question. I might just have to go with 1" smurf tube. That will work I'm sure.

Old 12-12-16, 07:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 665 Votes on 615 Posts
You can also get anything you want via amazon. Like if you want a larger conduit.

Old 12-12-16, 07:26 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
ENT (smurf tubing) is available at least up to 2" diameter. You can order it from home depot if you don't want to order online. It's more expensive than rigid PVC, but if you add in the costs of the couplers and time to join a bunch of 14" pieces.....

Keep in mind that if you are drilling through your joists, you need to keep the edge of the hole 2 inches from the top or bottom edge of the joist. The top edge and bottom edge of a joist is the highest stress area, so drilling close to the edge weakens the joist significantly.

Old 12-12-16, 07:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 665 Votes on 615 Posts
...and no holes at all in the middle 1/3 of the span.

Old 12-12-16, 08:53 PM
P
Yeah by the time you get to 2" smurf tube, it's pretty pricey. Which is the whole reason I wanted to go rigid conduit, dirt cheap. I think the 1" surf tube might be ok, thanks.