Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Treating sub-floor stains

IN

12-13-16, 04:54 PM   #1  
Treating sub-floor stains

Recently purchased a new home, rather new to the home repair arena. I pulled up carpet today in a bedroom (we were expecting issues based upon urine odor). I have attached a picture of what we are looking at. Looking for guidance on what our options for treating this situation are. Is this looking acceptable for bleach/vinegar treatment then oil based sealer? Hoping this isn't bad enough to require subfloor replacement!

Name:  Bedroom 1 - Sub floor stains.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  21.3 KB

Sponsored Links

IN

12-13-16, 04:57 PM   #2  
Name:  Bedroom 1 - Sub floor stains (2).jpg
Views: 83
Size:  23.0 KB

adding in an additional picture for reference. thanks!

VA

12-14-16, 06:40 AM   #3  
Skip the bleach and vinegar and just seal it with this.
Zinsser« CLEAR BIN« Sealer Product Page

Group Moderator

WI

12-14-16, 08:28 AM   #4  
BIN will do it but we usually get the job done with just an oil based sealing primer in our units.

IN

12-14-16, 05:47 PM   #5  
thanks for the feedback guys. still in process of pulling up carpet in other rooms, then off to cleaning up the floors and sealing. Thankfully the first room i showed appears to be the worst of them.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-15-16, 02:56 AM   #6  
I would also use a pigmented shellac like Zinnser's BIN although if the stains aren't too bad an oil base primer will work fine. The main thing is to apply a good fluid coat of primer to seal in the odor!

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread