Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Roof rafters separating

01-22-17, 09:47 AM   #1  
Roof rafters separating

Name:  20170122_120931-A.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  25.4 KB

Some rafters are pulling away and I would like to fix this before it gets worse. Any help appreciated on the best way to repair this issue.

Thank you

Sponsored Links

MI

01-22-17, 10:05 AM   #2  
New construction? Doesn't look too bad!

It's normal for wood to dry out , shrink and twist.

Get some 3" screws if you want.

ME

01-22-17, 10:06 AM   #3  
Hi Chiro,
You need to establish whether these are moving or whether they have been that way from the start?
There is really no load pressure pulling them apart, all of the weight above would be pushing them together.
Age of house and how long have you been observing them?

Bud

Forum Topic Moderator

CAL

01-22-17, 10:15 AM   #4  
Bud has a good point, the joints should come together, so you might be OK.

It wouldn't hurt to add rafter hangers like below:
Simpson Strong-Tie ZMAX Galvanized Light Rafter Slopeable U Hanger-LRU210Z - The Home Depot

Group Moderator

NE

01-22-17, 10:16 AM   #5  
Similar older thread: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ba...idge-beam.html

My question would be are there any ceiling joists that are keeping the top of the walls from spreading, and taking the rafters with them? The repair would address that question... collar ties could be added, so could angle ties. (Like Simpson A34)

01-22-17, 11:23 AM   #6  
Thank you all for your help.

The rafters pictured are at the left side of the house above some bedrooms that are above that garage. The garage has large beams with joists attached so it is pretty secure and doubtful anything is going to move there.

We just bought the house so I do not know if it has been that way the entire time or recently.

The rest of the roof rafters have collar ties on them. I guess I could just throw some collar ties on these few and that should be that.

I had thought of the straps but wasn't sure if that would be enough. Maybe I should use both.

Do you think just adding collar ties will be enough?

Any comments are appreciated. Thank you

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

01-22-17, 11:43 AM   #7  
Collar ties should have been required for inspection. They will be the best and simplest way to go.

Search this Thread