Need help determining beam size.

Old 02-06-17, 10:08 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help determining beam size.

Hoping someone can help! I want to remove a post in my single story home with 8' ceilings. The span I would like is 15' long and is load bearing, the roof supports rest on the beam and the rafters that span the 30' wide house also rest in top of it (they are toe nailed in in the attic). Right now there are two 8' openings and the beam consists of 3, 2x4's, I have read a lot about lvl's and would like to use one as the beam can't be thicker than 8" (width can be anything).. a beam thicker than 8" would stick to low in to the room... is this possible? Would an 8x8 lvl work for the span? Any help is appreciated!

Old 02-07-17, 05:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I think what would serve you better would be a flush beam installation. Google "flush beam installation" and look at the images provided. It will give you some insight as to how it is accomplished. Basically you will build two load bearing temporary walls on either side of where the beam will go and cut out the sheetrock and cut back on the ceiling joist tails to allow the installation of the beam and reinstall the joists using joist hangers. You can, then replace the sheetrock and finish for a smooth look.

Old 02-07-17, 07:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would consult with an architect or engineer. I've had simple calculations made and drawings stamped for a reasonable price.

Since you are removing a center post, all the load is being transferred to the end posts and down to the foundation.

You might be OK with the end posts and foundation as is, but I would want someone to look at it.

Old 02-07-17, 01:25 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
I'm curious, you mention a 30' wide house and say "there are two 8' openings and the beam consists of 3, 2x4's". 2x4's wouldn't hold a lot of weight, so are your rafters trusses? If trusses it might change your approach.

Bud

Old 02-07-17, 03:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If the roof structure is trusses, then forget everything I mentioned as you cannot alter or cut any truss, anywhere.

Old 02-07-17, 04:13 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Ya, we will have to wait and see what Rober says. If they are trusses that would reduce the load considerably and offer the possibility of a support above the ceiling joists. Just speculating at this point.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: