Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Rotten stud and sill and subfloor

03-20-17, 10:35 PM   #1  
Rotten stud and sill and subfloor

Hello friends . I took off the baseboard and discovered some rotten sheet rock . I decided to open the wall and saw this . The stud is rotten at the base. The sill is rotten and it is basically cut up into sections because of huge sloppy holes for plumbing. No foam in those holes. The underlayment is rotten in that spot. The subfloor seems to be a little rotten as well in one spot . How should I tackle this?
I can't see a way to post pics

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

03-20-17, 11:22 PM   #2  
Hello back and welcome to the forums.

Here's some picture posting help for you..... http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

~ Pete ~

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-21-17, 03:17 AM   #3  
How long is the area where the lumber needs to be replaced? Is it a load bearing wall? what is directly above that wall? What is under that area? crawlspace/open basement or a finished room?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

03-21-17, 07:03 AM   #4  
About 4 feet. Crawlspace underneath. Attic above the wall. No vapor barrier from the previous owner in crawlspace. I'll be installing one as soon as I can. Wall runs parallel to roof rafters. Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  50.3 KB

Heres the same wall a couple feet over to the right.
Name:  IMG_1992.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  44.7 KB

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-21-17, 07:20 AM   #5  
Where did the moisture come from? was that pipe leaking? failed flashing/siding on the exterior? When you said the sill was rotten did you mean the sole plate? [2x4]
It sounds like it's not a load bearing wall which makes the repair less complicated.

03-21-17, 07:41 AM   #6  
Sole plate. Sorry. Its an interior wall. Where did the moisture come from, I guess it came up from crawlspace. No foam in those big sloppy square holes made for that plumbing.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-21-17, 07:47 AM   #7  
I'm not sure condensation and/or humidity would accumulate enough moisture to rot the wood.
Any evidence of water stains? What does that water pipe supply? The previous owner could have fixed the leak but not the damage.

03-21-17, 08:14 AM   #8  
Water supplies the toilets. Two toilets in two bathrooms that are side by side. Yeah I guess I have no idea where that rot came from. I guess it must have come from the pipes at some point. I cant tell if the underlayment is stained or not, theres some white paint sprayed on it. Didnt see stains on sheet rock. Studs look stained though.

Last edited by Andrey Melnik; 03-21-17 at 08:54 AM.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-21-17, 09:00 AM   #9  
You might want to check the commodes also. If the wax seal fails it will leak under the base of the commode causing the floor to rot and could wick up to the sole plate. You'd have evidence of a weak floor at the base of the commode ... maybe only on one side.

Search this Thread