Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Which way should my joists run for a tray ceiling?

WA

03-27-17, 08:55 AM   #1  
Which way should my joists run for a tray ceiling?

I'm getting ready to frame in a tray ceiling in my closet. The dimensions are 70" x 30".

I was thinking about just using one 2x6 joist that spans the entire length (70") of the trey ceiling right down the middle and then adding two 2x4 nailers along the sides.

Is this the right way to go or would it be better for me to have multiple 2x6 joists that span the shorter width of 30".

There won't be anything too heavy being supported, just 2 light fixtures.

Here's a photo of how I was thinking about doing it:

Name:  tray-ceiling.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  34.4 KB

Sponsored Links

TN

03-28-17, 06:13 AM   #2  
Ceiling Joists

For a space that small, place the ceiling joists to support the light fixture(s).

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-28-17, 07:31 AM   #3  
As stated it doesn't matter which way the joists are run since the tray is small. Do consider how/where the lights will mount so the joist isn't in the wrong place.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

TN

03-28-17, 11:24 AM   #4  
Joist

You did not mention the type of fixture you plan to install. If the light fixture needs direct support, the joist should be centered. If the light fixture is supported by a ceiling electrical box, then the joist would be slightly off center to allow the box to be in the center of the ceiling.

Search this Thread