What size LVL (header) ?

Old 06-14-17, 01:02 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What size LVL (header) ?

I plan to open a wall between 2 bedrooms on the first floor, load bearing. It will be a 8 foot opening. What size lvl's should I use? I don't want to loose more cieling hieght in the entrance than is necessary.
Thanks in advance

Old 06-14-17, 01:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 776 Votes on 716 Posts
That's not a question we can answer sight unseen.

Old 06-14-17, 02:34 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
May not be able to answer at all; usual practice is to get a structural engineer on-site to render an opinion.

Old 06-14-17, 04:37 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 746 Votes on 685 Posts
Most manufacturers have span tables on their website which will give you a general idea. In my area the Inspections Dept. wants a Engineers signature any time an LVL is used so it's not something you can do yourself without engineering.

Old 06-14-17, 05:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 776 Votes on 716 Posts
What the lay person doesn't understand is that it's not just about span, it's also about load. We know NOTHING about the load this proposed header will have on it, nor the sq ft of floor above it, nor any other structural loads that might be added onto that. And we can't guarantee that the points your king and trimmer studs will sit on can handle the load... there cannot be voids in the floor joists below them. That is called load path.

That's why we can't answer sight unseen... someone qualified should look at it in person.

Old 06-15-17, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yep, this isn't a DIY question. However you can save a lot of money by doing the work yourself after you have a plan. To even consider advising on a beam size, anyone would need fairly accurate floor plans or at least sketches to start with.

As X explained, it's not so much the size of the beam (LVL's are strong), it's how the ends of the beam are supported.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: