Framing around drain pipe in the basement

Old 07-11-17, 02:59 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Framing around drain pipe in the basement

So I am finishing the basement and I'd like to preserve as much square footage as possible so I am thinking of notching my studs and only coming off the wall 4.5 inches which means that I'm going to have about a 2'' by 3'' notch cut out of each stud for a good length of the wall.

Also the drain pipe has a gentle slope to it as it goes across the wall.

I'm thinking about just stick framing it and using a jigsaw to cut out a custom notch for each stud affected or does it really affect structural integrity at all to just cut each board from the highest point of the pipe to the lowest point and just use them all interchangeably.

Another question about getting a straight line. I feel like instead of a straight line what I really want is a parallel straight line so I am planning on measuring out the same distance down each floor joist from the outside wall and use those points to snap a top plate line, then use a plumb level to create to points to snap a line for the bottom plate. Am I overthinking this?

Old 07-11-17, 04:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,647 Upvotes on 1,475 Posts
I dont think you want to notch your studs like that. See R602.6 (1) notches cannot exceed 40% of stud depth in non-load bearing walls.

Build a wall above and below the pipe... no notching. Attach the plates above and below the pipe to cleats that are attached to the foundation. (Cleats= treated 2x4s tapconned to the wall... add double or triple thickness of std. lumber on top of that cleat as needed.

If there are any cleanouts on that pipe they need to remain accessible.

Old 07-11-17, 05:08 PM
Received 1,062 Upvotes on 963 Posts
For the amount of time an hassle, and the minimal amount of space just move the wall out and move on!!

Old 07-11-17, 05:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,647 Upvotes on 1,475 Posts
Exactly. Either that or move it out to where the notches will all be less than 40%.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: