Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

What a good reference book?

NY

08-17-17, 10:34 AM   #1  
What a good reference book?

Hi, I'm thinking of gutting and remodeling a small house I'll own soon and move into it. I've done some carpentry, installed my hot water furnace and controls, added a a zone to it, and know electrical (2 yr college). But I haven't done anything for the past 20 yrs, and want to get a couple of decent books to refresh my know-how and names of things. Saw a couple in home depot: Renovation 4th ed. and The Visual Handbook 3rd ed. Black n Decker had a codes book as well. Unsure if these are good ones or not.

Can anyone recommend some good reference books on framing, plumbing, electrical? The toughest thing I'll be doing is converting a portion of a load bearing wall to a beam type, up in the attic and use joist hangers so there's no beam hanging down.

It's a small house built back in the 50's and has never been upgraded, so it really needs a complete redo. I'd like to make sure I do it right - I don't want any problems come inspection time.

Craftydad

Sponsored Links

NY

09-02-17, 03:51 PM   #2  
So I guess there are no good books out there. Thanks. Off to Lowes to get a few I saw there. Between what I buy there and the NY IRC (difficult to read/understand, hence my post), I should be able to get through any inspection - I hope.

Craftydad

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

09-02-17, 04:38 PM   #3  
I would go to the library. Other than that Home Depot used to sell books.

Search this Thread