Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Easy? Do you glue up LVL Laminate headers?

CT

09-12-17, 11:18 AM   #1  
Easy? Do you glue up LVL Laminate headers?

OR is screwing them together good enough? to get your desired 3.5 width.
OK I have helped and been involved in installing headers ( doors and windows) quite a while ago. Please state current procedures. I am going to install a ( 2 x) 1.75 Thk. x 7.25 high ( about 7 feet long) header over a six foot wide window opening.
I am clamping them tight then planning on just using screws to secure them . Seems that would be good enough?
with the smooth surface if I were to bond them together I would have to prep sand the finish. seems laborious??
whats say?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

09-12-17, 11:30 AM   #2  
I think glue and nail is standard when combining to make a beam.

Are you sure yours are 1.75"? I would be surprised if it wasn't 1.5", which is why there's normally a piece of plywood cut to fit in between the two LVLs.

Group Moderator

NE

09-12-17, 03:34 PM   #3  
1.75 is normal width for an LVL... its so you don't have to put plywood between.

Screws don't meet code in some areas and nails are required, in pairs, 16" on center. Glue is okay but no codes call for it.

The ends of the header need to be nailed into the king studs (the ones the header fits between) and generally a header that long would need double trimmers under each end. (Also called jack studs, they go under the header and should be tight). The header also should be nailed to the top plate if it's up against it. The exterior sheathing needs to be renailed to the header as well. If for some reason you haven't taken the siding off outside, glue the header to the sheathing and nail where ever you can.

Group Moderator

WI

09-13-17, 08:30 AM   #4  
X knows this stuff, go with what he said.

CT

09-14-17, 07:55 AM   #5  
Thanks X

I am going with no gluing! Going to add a few screws with a hammer drill just because its fun to see these things dig in! Before hand I will clamp them tight first and hammer some nails! I am aware of the jack and king studs and thank you for re-assuring me of the best method!
I called building in town they mentioned nails are go to go within code for doubling up. However when you join three LVL beams together must be bolted together and I do recall doing this in the past. long time ago! lol
They finally got smart and made lams to convenient user friendly thickness!

Search this Thread