Footing question

Old 11-16-17, 09:17 AM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Footing question

I currently have a covered porch between my house and my garage, What I would like to do is add two walls to enclose it in to make it into a mud room. The floor to the porch is a poured concrete slab. The walls I will be adding would be non load bearing, they will just span between the floor and the already supported roof. Would I need to cut the slab and add a footing for these walls or would it be okay building the walls right on the slab?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-17, 09:40 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the house, porch & garage are all attached, there may already be footings under the slab. Footings or no footings, you don't want to start construction & the building dept. stops the job for not having a permit. I would check the local codes first.

Old 11-16-17, 10:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 619 Votes on 572 Posts
Definitely check with your Building Inspections Dept. before doing anything. Load bearing or not my inspectors want to see a footer under all exterior walls. Usually that's because most exterior walls are load bearing so you're in a bit of a gray area and you don't want them to rule on the wrong side of your decision after you've finished construction.

Old 11-20-17, 09:46 AM
X
My local code enforcement officers finally got back to me and he says I dont need a permit to do the work.

Old 11-20-17, 11:42 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Good for you. Most places want a permit.