Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Anyone Have an Educated Guess on a Corner Stud Layout

CO

01-03-18, 03:30 PM   #1  
Anyone Have an Educated Guess on a Corner Stud Layout

My house was built in 1902. The walls are lath and plaster with a drywall overlay, so no chance of locating studs normally. I am hanging a TV on an inside corner (outside exterior corner). When I drill perpendicular into either inside wall (within 3/4" of the corner), the wall is hollow. If I drill @ 45 degrees directly into the corner, there is solid wood. I can't wrap my brain around what the corner detail framing might be.

I am in Boulder, CO and suspect that all building materials were relatively expensive around 1900, so they probably didn't use any extra lumber. This was a miner's house so perhaps not built to the standards of the elite just a couple blocks away.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

01-03-18, 03:35 PM   #2  
I assume the corner studs are somewhat traditional but with a layer of lath and plaster capped with sheetrock the finishing may be so thick that the face of the wall is out beyond the framing.

CO

01-03-18, 03:48 PM   #3  
I think you are on the mark Pilot. I thought of this after I posted. There is 1/2" drywall and probably 3/4" of lath and plaster, so when I drill a pilot hole 3/4" from the drywall corner, I am 2" from the framing corner. I'm gonna need some pretty long lags to attach blocks to the inside corner to then bolt my TV bracket into.

Thanks for the quick response.

Group Moderator

NE

01-03-18, 03:49 PM   #4  
There is not always a stud on inside corners on those old houses... the lathe often runs behind the corner to the next stud if the wall continues that direction. And they used any kind of crap when they needed backing for the lathe in a corner so don't count on a stud.

Group Moderator

NJ

01-03-18, 05:35 PM   #5  
If your TV is large enough to cover..... you may need to mount two pieces of plywood to the wall and then mount the bracket to the plywood.

~ Pete ~

CO

01-04-18, 07:36 AM   #6  
I have stacked two 2 x 4 short lengths in the corner and if my math is correct, I need an 8-9'" lag screw going in at 45 degrees, where I detect wood with a pilot hole. My TV weighs 50 lbs. Hope this does it.

Search this Thread