Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Laminate floor - large gap near sliding door, gaps baseboard won't cover

Old 01-03-18, 09:26 PM

Please take a look at the attached photos.

https://imgur.com/LJnS2uE

That little sliver that the baseboard doesn't cover, is my best bet to use a wood filler product or could I cut out a sliver from some leftover laminate? I don't want to have to add shoe molding throughout the living room to accommodate a couple of gaps like this. On the flip I may sell this house someday and don't want it to look too junky.

The other issue I'm not sure how to fix is the laminate gap before the screen door. Is there some sort of transition material I can stick over the laminate prior to the screen door? Here's a picture.

https://imgur.com/NVVZnTN

Beyond that there are other gaps where the contractor cut around door casing instead of undercutting. I'm guessing my best bet is to fill that in with some wood filler material.

Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-18, 12:56 AM
The gap along the baseboard just needs shoe or 1/4 round molding installed.

The area in front of the door could have had a "T" molding with one side of the 'T" trimmed off so it fit flush against the base of the window like I did against the door threshold.

The transition piece has a metal channel attached to the sub floor that it snaps into, with the floor installed it will have to be hand trimmed back to install, a difficult repair.

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/a...1&d=1515056175

Attached Images  

Last edited by Marq1; 01-04-18 at 01:22 AM.
Old 01-04-18, 05:19 AM
Group Moderator
If, as you said, you don't want to use base shoe, you should get some color matched caulk that is close be being the right color. Something along the lines of Big Stretch "woodtone". Mask off the floor and trim with painters tape so that you don't get any more caulk on it than necessary. Caulk only the sliver with the gap, nothing more. Do the same at your door casing that wasn't undercut, masking of the front of the casing and the floor. Caulk, tool it down into the gap, use a bit if water if needed to smooth it, then remove the tape right away.

Marq is right, they should have put a t-molding there. (Your 2nd link) Putting one in now would require you cut back the floor about 1 1/8"- 1 1/4" from the door. This cut must be VERY straight as there is not much margin for error. Too tight and the floor can't expand, too loose and you will see a gap. Most cordless skilsaws have a 1" offset left of the blade... you could set it 3/8" deep... then cut left to right. The ends that the skilsaw won't cut you would need to cut with a multitool (like Fein Multimaster). If possible, get them back to do this... no reason you should have to do it.

That being said, you must not have had the best installers in the world.

Old 01-04-18, 08:41 AM
Thank you both. I'll look this over more, pick up some T-molding in a few days and take picture post-fix.

It's my fault. I had an hourly handyman do it with me and I didn't ask enough question to get to the bottom of it before we started installing.

Here's another doozy near a vent. I'm guess T-molding will clean this up as well?

https://imgur.com/tB4Xutn

Old 01-04-18, 09:00 AM
It's the experience that helps resolve the small details that makes the final job look right.

The vent looks bent, may be able to straighten that out some. The transition to the left really needs to be replaced with new laminate transition!

Old 01-04-18, 09:37 AM
Yea, agreed. Lessons learned. I picked up about 1k ft of laminate on craigslist for 200 bucks so I'm not out much money in the big scheme of things. I haven't figured out if I can buy more of the product but it looks like it came from Lowes (picture):

https://imgur.com/gallery/LLCvG

I'm still trying to figure out what the made/model is so I can buy the right transition pieces and possibly redo the stair nosing.
I didn't have the right nosing so I put on some of this rubber nosing. Does that look like crap?

I've still got to build all of the trim down the stairs. I've put in a lot of hours custom routing baseboard trim so I think I can pull off the stairs next.