Open doorway - Load Bearing Header

Old 01-10-18, 01:59 PM
Open doorway - Load Bearing Header

Hello, First post but looking for so input.

I am hoping to extend (widen) a now pantry closet doorway to fit a refrigerator. Kitchen is being reconfigured. The wall is load bearing. There is a post on the right side and left side of the wall. But there are doubled up king studs on the left of the door and I don't know why. Wall also is studded 7'' on center.

Plan is to open up doorway by 10 inches and put in a new header with new jack/king studs....any issues?

See photo.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-18, 02:06 PM
Group Moderator
I can't really make a reply without seeing the framing on the right side of the door that is currently covered up with drywall.

the left side appears to have been framed for a partition wall on the left side of your king stud... and we can't see what is on the opposite side of that wall. I assume it's the inside of the pantry. If so, I don't know how you intend to gain 10".

Old 01-10-18, 02:21 PM
The right side is 4 stacked king studs. On the left there is a partition wall which is the pantry wall and dining room. I guess I was assuming that partition wasnt in the way and id fill the left space between those 2 open studs with the header going to there

Old 01-10-18, 02:38 PM
Group Moderator
The sideways partition stud would need to be completely removed. The stud on the left of the partition would become your king stud, and double studs underneath would become your left side trimmers. You would need a 1/2" plywood spacer, and then extend the 1/2" drywall that is inside the pantry out to the new outside corner. This would gain you 4". (The 3 studs left of the door minus 1/2" for drywall.)

If you have 4 studs on the right, (so that drywall on the right is about 6 5/8" wide?) one is for the header on the left the other is for the header for the opening on the right. The other 2 are trimmers... one left, one right. If that opening on the right is 4ft or more, it likely requires double trimmers by current codes. This cannot be reduced.

The only way to lose even one of them off the right side (the maximum you will gain is likely 1 1/2"... or whatever the width of the inside the pantry is) would mean you would have to span BOTH openings with a single header, which would require you to consult a structural engineer or architect to size the header (or LVL) for you. In other words, you are consulting them to visually inspect the situation... make sure this new header will not be overspanned, that it is correctly sized, and that the new bearing points for this header (the framing directly below the new king and trimmer studs) can support the load. This longer header might require 2 or 3 trimmers per side, depending on its size and length.

And you would obviously need a outlet on a circuit for the fridge in there... and a water line if needed.

Old 01-10-18, 02:48 PM
So...if I don't need space on the right (I leave studs and use existing jack for new header)...and can take out the partition stud...and extend the header to the left only I should be ok?

Old 01-10-18, 02:51 PM
Group Moderator
Yes..............?...............

But no matter how far left the header goes, it still only gains you 4" because of the rest of the pantry partition wall. Unless that is going away too.

Old 01-10-18, 03:58 PM
Kinda need that jack stud removed on the right....thoughts on header hanger to replace jack stud?

Old 01-10-18, 04:11 PM
Group Moderator
You can do that provided you use the correct type of header hanger, the header is less than 4' in length and it meets your local building code.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour..._3OOdT2dXA4pDi

Old 01-16-18, 05:08 PM
Juat checking in.

moved beam over. Wasn't expecting studs to be nailed thoughts bottom plate...is that normal?

the jack studs that I removed weren't even contacting the header....I'm assuming that isn't normal...why would this be?

any comments or concerns are welcome.

Attached Images