Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Running ENT, Joist on wall header - how to cut/notch?

01-27-18, 12:11 PM   #1  
Running ENT, Joist on wall header - how to cut/notch?

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to run a 1/2" ENT (smurf-tube) for CAT6 network cabling in my basement. What normally would take me 30-mins has become quite the project. My house is a typical split ranch. My basement is untouched from when we bought it. Previous owners had it finished and I have a drop ceiling which makes cabling a breeze. However, when I went to install the lines, I noticed that there is a floor joist running parallel directly on the framed basement wall header. It is oddly enough running directly on the front edge of the header versus across the middle. The wall is an interior wall, and is running parallel to the joists. I do not believe is is load bearing. Looking at the area, the builders needed to run copper plumbing and the pictures show how they did it. While I could accomplish the same with some forstner bits and a router, I'm not sure this is the right way or structurally acceptable. I'm looking for some guidance on the best way to get the cabling through the joist so I can get the conduit up the wall and at least through the header. I do not need the conduit through the joist, if that's too difficult.

In the pictures you will see how the plumbing is run using a rounded channel/notch? You will also see the arrows and dot indicating where I want the cabling run to happen. It's at least 5" from the plumbing notch.

Any help is appreciated!

Attached Images

Sponsored Links

01-29-18, 06:10 AM   #2  
Anyone have any insight on this? I've searched the net and even tried looking for videos on this topic and couldn't find anything other than boring holes through the joists or cutting notches on the top/bottom edge.

Group Moderator

NJ

01-29-18, 05:46 PM   #3  
That was done so the pipe could be run behind the paneling and down.

You want to bring a conduit up the wall and come out where the orange dot is... correct ?

See how far the joist comes down behind the paneling. You mav be able to put a hole where the purple dot is and bring the wiring out there. Just scooting thru below the joist. Otherwise you can drill down into the wall where the yellow dot is.

Name:  wall.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  29.9 KB

~ Pete ~

Search this Thread