Need help figuring out the best way

Old 01-27-18, 02:50 PM
Need help figuring out the best way

My wife and I are wanting to knock down a wall and door to an existing extension on our house. The problem is we don't believe the floor was insulated at all! We're up in Maryland and the past 2 months the floor and room (closed off by a door) have been freezing making the entire room 20-30 degrees colder than the house.

THE UNDERSIDE
The room has a crawlspace under it, the back side is attached to the house and foundation. Both sides are simple cinder blocks. The front is thin un-isulated plywood doors build on a 2x4 frame. It's not 100% sealed off under the 2x4 frame either but poses no threat of water getting under or staying under the room. The part that puzzled me was it's underside is a concrete subfloor, so I cannot say for sure how thick the floor is, the type of framing used or if any potential insulation was ever installed.

INSIDE THE ROOM.
The room was recently refinished with new tiles so I'm again not able to easily just pull up a side to see under.

what we are wanting to figure out is what would be the best way to get into the subfloor and check everything for insulation. If it comes down to removing some tile, we don't really mind replacing the floor with something different. But I'm still confused about the concrete underside...

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-18, 04:12 PM
Group Moderator
You said you have doors into your crawlspace... that's how you get under your floor. Once down there you will be able to see if your floor is insulated or not. If it's not insulated then it's relatively to add.

Old 01-27-18, 05:49 PM
Sorry I forgot to mention that part. The crawl space is about 18" high. I attached at picture this time to show the concrete underside.

Attached Images  
Old 01-28-18, 04:42 AM
Group Moderator
I assume that area was intended to be a porch and not heated. I wouldn't say you have a "sub floor". You have a concrete slab. I am concerned about the wooden post in the center. I would replace it with a adjustable steel lolly column to help avoid any future rot.

Insulating the floor will be difficult to do 100% properly since it looks like the slab extends out and is visible on the outside. That means you'll never be able to insulate the end of the slab so the cold will conduct in through the concrete and keep that strip of floor along the wall cold. You might be able to have spray foam applied to the bottom of the slab or can attach sheets of rigid foam.

Old 01-29-18, 03:58 AM
So I've been looking around and had a question about an idea I have. I am thinking the best way to insulate this would be from the inside since the slab extends out all the way. The walls are insulated and built up correctly from what I can tell but the floor is ice cold during the winter months.

My idea/question. Would a layer of rigid foam, followed by a layer of OSB subflooring, followed by the decorative floor of my wife's choosing suffice as a decent insulation? In my mind it seems the same as insulating and flooring a basement. I could also do the recommended rigid foam or spray foam under the slab as well to provide a little extra insulation. We have about 3-4 inches of a drop from the inside of the house to that room so raising the floor would only help the room.

Old 01-29-18, 04:54 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, it the floor in that room is already 3-4" lower than the rest of the house I would go crazy inside. If the existing floor tile is in good shape I would probably leave it in place and put the insulation on top of it. Luckily with so much height to work with you can probably get R10 or more which will make a huge difference.

Old 01-29-18, 05:18 AM
Awesome, I dont know why I didnt think of that before, because I know my wife would like that better anyways having ti level with the rest of the house. Thanks for the help and advice with it. I was also already looking at the R10 to help out a little more, especially since she gets cold feet easily.