Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Is this soffit load bearing?

IA

02-02-18, 11:13 AM   #1  
Is this soffit load bearing?

Hello,

I'm currently remodeling our kitchen and I'm tackling tearing out a soffit that surrounds the half of two walls and the full length of another wall. I've attached two photos.

[IMG]http://i63.************/2r3b0hz.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i63.************/mkgo8.jpg[/IMG]

I tore into one and before I yank it out can you tell if this is load bearing? I don't believe it to be since it's a 2x4 running across it. If it were loading bearing I'd imagine there would be 2 2x12's or something spanning that length.

Also, any idea why a soffit would be here? This home was built in 1959. I know that they sometimes hide plumbing and what not, but I'm thinking there may be some in one little corner and that's it.

Thanks,
Ethan

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

02-02-18, 12:22 PM   #2  
There is nothing below the soffit and it's hanging from the ceiling so it can not be load bearing.

Forum Topic Moderator

NC

02-02-18, 12:33 PM   #3  
Only reason I can think of it being is decoration.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-02-18, 12:57 PM   #4  
Is this a kitchen? often there will be a soffit that comes down to the cabinet height. I assume a wall used to be where the plastic is hung.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

NE

02-02-18, 03:14 PM   #5  
The soffit obviously isnt, but we have no way of knowing if that is a header behind the soffit there on the left side. One would assume that it is there for a reason.

Search this Thread