Subfloor

Old 03-29-18, 06:00 AM
Subfloor

We are renovating our kitchen, the old floor is 3/4 tg plywood, to allow for durock, thinset mortar & tile, I want to rip all the 3/4 out & put in new 22/32 tg, I have a basement under this level, is it ok to just have the 22/32, & then the flooring without an additional layer of wood, I hope so, or I will defeat my intention of keeping the finished floor the similar level with adjoining rooms?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-18, 07:41 AM
Group Moderator
What is going to be the finished floor?

Old 03-29-18, 03:28 PM
Ceramic tile, over the durock

Old 03-29-18, 04:14 PM
Group Moderator
I dont quite understand how 1/16" of an inch helps you. Leave your 3/4" t&g and use 1/4" cement board over it.

Old 03-29-18, 05:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your subfloor needs to be stiff and solid if you are just going to use a single layer of ply before cement board and tile. Tile doesn't care what the height of adjacent flooring is, it only needs to be as solid as possible. L360 is the standard we shoot for. So to find that, we need the size, spacing and unsupported span of the joist system under the subfloor. Die hard tile guys also want the species of joists lumber and the grade of that lumber, usually found by marking on the wood itself. Remember, there is deflection from the joists and there is deflection between the joists, both can have adverse effects on the tile install. Fill in the missing information so we can further assist.