Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to layout subfloor

CANADA

04-06-18, 02:54 AM   #1  
How to layout subfloor

I am replacing subfloor in bedroom. Room is 17 x 11'. Joists run perpendicular to the long wall and they are 16" o.c. I am interested in ideas on how I should layout this floor. Initial thought was 8', 8', 1' but realized that you can't have 1'! I started to do some arithmetic and soon found a host of different cuts that will get me the 17' but then realized the ends may not land on a joist and that there was going to be a lot of waste. Then I thought, that's okay, just put in a cleat. Then I thought.... ARGHHH! Better check in with the fine folk at doityourself.com. Any thoughts, things I should look out for? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

04-06-18, 05:11 AM   #2  
First, chalk a line to follow across the floor. You generally start with a full sheet or close to it... let's say your first sheet is 7'. Your next is 8. The piece left is about 2'. The scrap from that sheet is 6'. Use it to start your next row by cutting it to length. Let's say it's 5'. Next sheet is 8'. The piece left is 4'. Use the cutoff to start the next row by cutting it to length. 3+8+5, And so on.

There is always some waste so don't worry about that. However doing it this way usually produces the least amount of waste.

TN

04-06-18, 05:48 AM   #3  
What XSleeper said. And have all joints land on a joist.

CANADA

04-06-18, 06:22 AM   #4  
Let's see...checking my numbers... Nope. No 7, 8 2. Thank you Mr. Sleeper. And it looks like only 5' of waste, overall. That's less than 3% of the total floor. Well done.

Search this Thread