What to do with my 79" door openings...

Old 04-08-18, 02:54 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What to do with my 79" door openings...

Hey all, finally joined the forum today should have done it a long time ago. We bought a brand new house last October and I've been pecking away at finishing the basement. It's a 2000ft2 footprint, single story with 1000ft2 garage.
I'm ready to buy a few door packages for a bedroom I've almost finished when I finally now realized that the RO of the doors down here are all 79"! Floor to Joist is 94 1/2" but above the 3' door openings is solid wood. I think they have seriously over done the headers here, especially considering the single trimmers, could you please advise? Here is a picture of one, same condition with the other except I already have sheet rock on that... If I take 3" off the bottom of our door packages I'll have to duck to walk through them ha ha. So, I have to figure out how to upload pictures, but it's a double 2x10, with a flat 2x4 top and bottom, under a double top plate wall. All for a 36" door!

Old 04-08-18, 03:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Cut off the flat 2x4 on top. Then trim about 3/4" off the bottom of each jamb. After floor coverings go in, you will have to cut the doors to length.

Alternatively, reframe all your openings and remove the top and bottom 2x4s... reuse the 2x10 headers... cut new trimmers. No door trimming that way.

Old 04-08-18, 05:48 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
So I assume it's obvious that this framing is way overkill, I wonder why they would have done this at all? They have one door down here framed for the mechanical room that is the correct 82 1/2" tall. Where the wall is already rocked, I was thinking perhaps I could just use a saw to cut 3 1/2" out of the top, removing the bottom flat stud, and a 2" rip on the bottom of the 2x10s?

Old 04-08-18, 06:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I can't tell you that is the right thing to do, because a framing inspector would not allow it, but it's already passed inspection so I guess what you do now is your business.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: