Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Subfloor Defence Force

04-08-18, 07:55 PM   #1  
Subfloor Defence Force

Ok so here goes. I am a renter, always have been and prefer to be because I hate maintaining my own place. I leave that up to those who have more practice. That being said my landlord has decided to sue me $3000 to repair the subfloor in the carpeted living room alone because they claim I was drying wood in my own home. I work with wood, I don't dry wood in my home. I do not have access to inspect the floor from below because that is a separate unit.

I need to prove there is no damage done to the floor without that information or photos. I can photograph my side and measure. I have run taut strings across the floor and measured the gaps and found that there is no more than 6mm (3/32") of variation across a 4572mm (15') x 3650mm (12') area. This leads to a maximum downward slope to the centre of the sag at 0.226 degrees from 0 at the worst point on the floor from the wall, all other areas are below .2 degrees. A bubble level is nearly dead on and sits pretty, I can't find a single problem.

Is there any Ontario documentation I can present to legitimize the maximum acceptable slope on a subfloor? Any other ideas on how I can test the floor for level? I checked OBC 2012 but its hard to find specifics related to anything already built and the building was built in the '70s. We are looking at hiring an inspector and sending them into the unit below as they have legal rights that I do not.

Any help would be great and I thank you in advance

Sponsored Links

MI

04-08-18, 11:11 PM   #2  
That being said my landlord has decided to sue me $3000 to repair the subfloor in the carpeted living room alone because they claim I was drying wood in my own home.

So what is the landlord claiming is damaged and how are they stating it occurred!

NY

04-09-18, 03:22 AM   #3  
because they claim I was drying wood in my own home.
Explain. Drying fire wood or kiln drying wood for furniture making? What condition is the carpet in? Does he see you dragging in wood? Can he provide video of you bringing wet dirty wood?

Group Moderator

NJ

04-09-18, 01:45 PM   #4  
my landlord has decided to sue me $3000 to repair the subfloor in the carpeted living room alone because they claim I was drying wood
There would have to be visible damage in order to require a repair.
Your landlord would have to provide documentable damage.
He can't just charge on a whim.

~ Pete ~

04-09-18, 07:28 PM   #5  
Crazy enough they aren't really stating anything. The claim is "Drying plywood on the floor, estimated $2800 to repair and replace carpet and subflooring." That's as detailed as it gets in the legal document sent.

04-09-18, 07:37 PM   #6  
I understand that there needs to be visible damage and I know there is not, I'm just doing my due diligence to make sure I've covered all my basses. I don't think they know I work for a cabinet making company and process 50 sheets of Plywood on a CNC daily. I would never have a need to bring home any wood for a personal project and work on it there, I'd rather do it at work after hours with way way better equipment. There won't be pictures because it never happened. I have 2 sheets of plywood used in my own personal projects and I brought them home precut.

Side note, the carpet is over 10 years old, we've been renting for 7 years and the previous tenants and previous owner all had the same carpet back to roughly 2009. We have pictures from the listing showing the same carpet. Honestly the dining room is far worse because of food and drink spills but as a family we clean all the carpets 2-3 times a year.

Thanks for your help so far everyone.

Forum Topic Moderator

NC

04-10-18, 03:38 AM   #7  
Have no knowledge of law but I would let them take me to court, Hire a lawyer and counter sue them for cost of lawyer and time lost.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-10-18, 04:29 AM   #8  
I don't know about where you live but in the states there are agencies that offer legal protection/recourse to low income renters - might be something to check out.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread