Self-Leveling Underlayment vs. Reframing

Old 06-11-18, 06:29 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Self-Leveling Underlayment vs. Reframing

We have a closet space with old hardwood floors that we are going to convert to a master bathroom, and have had a couple of contractors come out to provide estimates. The floor of the room currently has a mild slope to it, and one contractor suggested using self-leveling underlayment to fix this, while another suggested re-framing the floor and ceiling to make sure everything is level. Re-framing for such a small room seems like overkill to me. Does one option make more sense than the other?

The room itself is 12'x6', and when I measure floor-to-ceiling in one corner vs the other, I come up with 1 inch difference (across the 6' width of the room). Also, this house is over 100 years old.

Old 06-11-18, 07:02 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
What type of flooring are you considering? What does the current subfloor consist of? How thick?

Old 06-11-18, 07:22 PM
H
Nothing set in stone yet, really. We've talked about a tile floor with the contractor that suggested the self-level method, while the one who suggested re-framing the floor/ceiling recommended a vinyl tiles/planks. Given our situation, do you feel like one is a better option? Or something else?

I'm not 100% certain on what the sub-floor situation is under the existing hardwoods. I can take a picture tomorrow if that's helpful, but I think the existing hardwoods are laid right over planks that are nailed into the joists....Not totally sure though.

Old 06-12-18, 03:56 AM
H

Here's the current hardwoods and what I can see of the sub-floor underneath it. Also, should mention that the guy who wants to frame it out wants to do so because the downside of the slope would be where the entrance of the bathroom would be, which would require a possible 1 or 2 inch step to get up into the room, creating a tripping hazard.

Old 06-12-18, 08:24 AM
H
Sorry, just realized the photo didn't post. Let me try this...

Attached Images  
Old 06-12-18, 05:30 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Most all bathrooms that are tiled have a marble threshold that requires a step up. So, I'm not sold on the trip hazard.

If you go the self leveling route. First install 1/4" cement board set in a 1/4" notch troweled mortar bed screwed to the subfloor. You can then pour your SLC directly on the cement board. If you do the SLC first, you will need to put down tar paper, then wire mesh and then the SLC. And again, the tile needs a flat surface, not necessarily a level surface.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: