Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Can I remove stud from partition wall under vaulted ceiling? Is it load bearing?

Can I remove stud from partition wall under vaulted ceiling? Is it load bearing?

Old 06-26-18, 07:01 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Dear All:

I am in the midst of remodeling a closet in the master bedroom. The goal was to remove the closet door and expand the opening to make better use of the shelf space. Brief background, we have a vaulted ceiling with a scissor truss on top. The closet shares a wall with an exterior wall. My plan is to remove two studs from the front opening to expand it. For obvious reasons, I want to make sure these studs are not load bearing.

To the extent this detail helps, the bedroom itself is all under the truss. One half of the bedroom has no walls supporting the trust from the center to the exterior wall if that helps. Pay no attention to the metal braces on the stud. I added that in an abundance of caution after I partially cut the stud while removing drywall.

My brief attempt at internet research has told me that generally, there is no load bearing under a scissor truss and that the load bearing is all on the exterior wall. The internet also tells me that I shouldn't trust the internet and that I should bring in someone to see it in person to confirm. But, since I have the original blueprints with a truss diagram, I thought I would put this into the web abyss to see if there is an clear consensus.

Here are some photos that may or may not help:

Direct link to imgur photos if photos above failed: https://imgur.com/a/cDFKRho

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: