Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Ok to use green Spax lags as anchors in block wall?

Old 07-28-18, 05:58 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I've got a basement project where I'm attaching 3in studs over 1 inch foam to a block wall (built ~1952). I was planning on using Tapcons, but the threads are not holding. The 1/4 green Spax lags look like they would do the trick, but my concern is - will they will rust out over time?

Old 07-28-18, 06:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,643 Upvotes on 1,471 Posts
What size tapcons are you using?

Old 07-28-18, 06:14 PM
J
the tapcons I was using are 1/4 x 5 inch.

Old 07-28-18, 06:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,643 Upvotes on 1,471 Posts
CMU is soft... so you likely need to drill your holes with a 5/32 bit in cmu... slightly smaller than what is normally used. Also you cannot blast the hole into the block because you will blow out the inner half of the block. Drill your holes carefully, quit pushing the drill hard once you are halfway through. Predrilling a 3/16" or 7/32" hole in the stud will help too. Only the head needs to hold the stud tight... not the threads. You shouldn't torque the screws down as tight as possible with an impact because they will strip out... the cmu is too soft and too thin. If you use an impact, stop once it's snug. If it spins even a little you're done and need a new hole.

No, green spax will not work, they are not for concrete.

You could also try hitting the mortar... you might have better luck in the mortar than the block.

Old 07-28-18, 06:24 PM
J
ok - thanks I appreciate your time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: