Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Need some advice on converting single bedroom apartment into two.

Need some advice on converting single bedroom apartment into two.

Old 10-12-18, 02:07 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Need some advice on converting single bedroom apartment into two.

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a single bedroom condo. The single bedroom is pretty large and designed in a way that should pretty easily convert into two bedrooms. I want to split the rooms where the wall comes out on both sides and partially divides them as can be seen in the photos.

I am not sure what the right approach would be here. Should I frame a wall and place a door in the wall. Another idea is to get sliding doors.

What would you do to split these rooms? I would love to get your thoughts on this.

Attached Images       
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-18, 03:07 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Yes, it looks like you could just extend those two walls to close off the space.

Put a door in the wall? I don't see a reason to do that but I'm assuming each room has its own door; that the room as it exists now has two doors.

Any thought as to where the closet will be? Among other things, a room cannot be categorized as a bedroom without a closet in it.

Old 10-12-18, 03:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
Not positive but I think a bed rm is also required to have a window of a certain size or larger [means of egress]

Old 10-12-18, 06:59 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
If it's below ground, I know that's a certainty. Above ground and now I'm not sure but I think you're right, Mark.

Old 10-12-18, 07:42 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I agree if each room already has a door, then I would just close up that wall. A sketch of your floor plan would help tremendously. E.g., it may make more sense to close off an existing door and create a new one.

Old 10-12-18, 08:33 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Your Insurance Carrier probably has a copy of the Permit under which that Condo was built and/or the Local Building Code, and would (should) know whether a window for egress is required for a Bedroom.

I'm sure he wouldn't want to be reporting that you weren't covered for a death that occurred because there wasn't a secondary emergency egress.

Old 10-12-18, 11:08 AM
H
Received 95 Votes on 84 Posts
You'll have to check local code requirements, basic building code requirement is a window and non-door egress for each bedroom.
You'll also have to deal with "no boxcar" provisions that to be considered for financing, you can't have a bedroom that is only accessible THROUGH another bedroom.