Truss question

Old 11-18-18, 01:46 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Truss question

There are two by fours across my trusses. I'm curious if these are just there for sheathing purposes and Roofing. It doesn't look like they are structural. I'd like to remove for insulating purposes.

Last edited by TimH; 11-18-18 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Trying to add pics from my phone
Old 11-18-18, 02:05 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I assume you are looking at the ceiling joists and not the rafters above. A picture would help, but they may have been nailed in to stabilize the trusses when they were installed. A 2x4 bottom chord is a bit flimsy until all is nailed together.

In regards to insulation, is there none there now?

Bud

Old 11-18-18, 03:17 PM
T
I'll post pics when I get home. Can't figure how to do it from phone

No insulation yet Building was done I July. Hurt my knee in early August. Finally able to walk without bad pain. I'm way behind schedule

Old 11-18-18, 03:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
2x4s are installed laterally to maintain proper spacing during construction. Sometimes their location is meant to be permanent, other times not. Wind bracing is meant to be permanent and is usually placed diagonally.

Old 11-18-18, 04:37 PM
T
So here are the pics. XSleeper mentioned diagonal ones which some of mine are.

Attached Images    
Old 11-18-18, 04:42 PM
T
The diagonal ones are not connected to all the trusses just the 4 on the end. I case its not easy to tell they are scissor trusses. Still figuring out the best way to insulate it. Half the garage is attic trusses the other half is scissor trusses to accomadate a 2 post lift in the future

Old 11-18-18, 05:16 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I'll let X or others handle the truss question but it looks like you have a ridge vent??
Don't know your climate region so not sure on how much insulation you will need. Baffles in each rafter bay that extend down and prevent incoming air from "wind washing" the insulation. Baffles only need to go as high as the insulation is deep. Soffit vents will provide the low venting.

Your truss design will probably not allow enough insulation over the exterior wall but this is a garage so best fit will do.

Bud

Old 11-18-18, 05:30 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I could be missing the whole point of the discussion here & I maybe wrong all the way around & I am sure that, if I am, the pros will/should correct me.

For me, the 2X4's wouldn't be in my way putting up the insulation. At least roll insulation. The boards are on the top of the rafters & I put my roll insulation in from the bottom with the paper facing the inside of the room. So, since the 2X4's are on the inside of the rafters & I install my roll insulation from the bottom/outside, paper facing down in this case, the 2X4's wouldn't be an issue for me. They aren't in the way as I see it. That looks like 16" centers so, R-13 should fit right in there no problem.
Again, I may be late to the party & please excuse my ignorance if so. Feel free to correct any ignorance on my part.

Old 11-18-18, 06:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
I can't say where that bracing is "supposed" to be since that is usually called out on the prints that accompany the trusses, but often that bracing is placed on the vertical struts of your trusses. Sometimes the truss mfg puts an orange tag where that bracing should be located... but not always.

I would not remove any of it regardless because it is maintaining the proper spacing so that your drywall hanging will be problem free. It holds everything exactly on center.

And generally attics should be getting r-49 fwiw. Those trusses are definitely not energy heel trusses or they would be a lot deeper. You aren't going to get r-49 over the top plate and have any ventilation above it.

Old 11-18-18, 06:49 PM
T
Hi Bud,
I'm near Albany NY. I think its climate zone 5. Yes there is a ridge vent. I've been contemplating using a couple of layers of XPS 2" foam board for attic insulation. I know its expensive but it can be purchased used so its a bit cheaper. Walls are 2 x 6 so planning on R21 fiberglass there. Its a work in progress

Old 11-18-18, 06:59 PM
T
What do you guys think of what this guy is doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DX25Vz2jDc

Dixie2012 I'm thinking of using XPS foam board in the ceiling. I was thinking the 2 x 4 would interfere with its installation.

XSleeper I think I could get R49 on the ceiling just not in the soffit area.

Old 11-18-18, 07:04 PM
T
I'll leave the 2 x 4 on the trusses in place just in case they're structural

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: