Attic Ladder Install (perpindicular to joists)

Old 11-18-18, 06:18 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Attic Ladder Install (perpindicular to joists)

Hello,

I am looking to install an attic ladder in a hallway. The ladder will be installed perpendicular to the joists. Illustrated below is how I plan to frame out the rough opening for the ladder. I did some research to determine how to double up the joists, but are looking for recommendations \ confirmation as to whether or not what I have below is correct? From what I have read online it would seem the red joists I have added for reinforcement should run the total length of the joist it is reinforcing. However, in my scenario, this is not possible for a few different reasons (mostly due to electrical runs.

Thanks for the help.

Old 11-18-18, 06:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
That's not really correct... the doubled joists should run from load bearing wall to load bearing wall.

the way you have it drawn it puts 90% of the ceiling load on your grey wall which is non load bearing. That increases the load on the floor below which may not be able to handle it. Better to do it right.

Old 11-18-18, 08:07 PM
D
@XSleeper,

Got it. I'll do the following. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-18-18, 08:24 PM
Group Moderator
Be sure everything is in joist hangers.

Old 11-19-18, 06:01 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Verify that the ceiling joists shown in the diagram are not bottom chords of roof trusses.

Old 11-24-18, 03:05 PM
D
So I have amended my drawing and tried to include as much detail as I can with pictures (again this is an old house). It would appear that a few of the ceiling joists are bottom chords of roof trusses (see picture #4).

Picture #1 is a detail pic of how and where a top chord attaches to plate resting on the bottom chord.
Picture #2 is the entire attic with proposed attic ladder location.
Picture #3 is a detail pic of how and where a webbing attaches.

@Wirepuller38, suggestions on where I go from here?

Thanks!

Old 11-24-18, 03:54 PM
Group Moderator
You do not have "trusses" and nothing about your plan needs to change. You have rafters... and ceiling joists.... and some bracing. The location of the bracing is arbitrary and is not structural... you can move It if needed. It stiffens the roof rafters which appear to be overspanned.

Old 11-24-18, 03:57 PM
D
XSleeper,

Yea, I wasn't sure if what I had were "trusses" as they look nothing like what showed up when I searched for roof trusses.

Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: