Rafter Hanger Nailing

Old 11-26-18, 06:40 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Rafter Hanger Nailing

I just caught another mistake by the builder. They used 10d 1-1/2" nails to toenail the rafter hangers to the trusses where they meet the girder truss. There's about a 1/4" to 3/8" gap between the girder and the truss and you can see that the nails did not penetrate the face of the girder truss. I'll be yanking all of the nails out and replacing them with 16d 3-1/2" common nails per Simpson.

Questions for the audience:

Should I also replace the 1-1/2" face nails with longer (3") nails? The girder truss is composed of two 1-ply trussed sandwiched together, and the hence the nails currently only penetrate the 1st ply.

Is it okay to use regular ungalvanized common nails considering this is an interior application, albeit an unconditioned space?

Is it okay if there is a 1/4" to 3/8" gap between the end of the roof trusses and the face of the girder truss? The trusses bear on the entire seat of the hanger and extend past about 1/4". I can try to pull the trusses closer to the girder if necessary by temporarily fastening a 2x4 between adjacent trusses and using a ratcheting strap to pull the roof rafters tight against the girder truss as I hammer in the longer nails.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-18, 02:26 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I was hoping to get a response prior to work, but I went head and just replaced all of the toe nails with 16d 3-1/2" common nails. As expected, most of the existing toenails were 1-1/2" and pulled out with very little effort. Two of the hangers didnt have toenails in them at all. Unbelievable that these guys are still in business.