Plywood over plywood on 2nd story barn floor?

Old 12-01-18, 10:40 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Plywood over plywood on 2nd story barn floor?

Looking for some advice. My husband and I just moved to my families farm. When I was a child and teenager and my grandparents had the farm we had a lot of parties and gatherings in the second level of the big barn. When my aunt and uncle took over they used it for storing hay and the floors that were just plywood have fell into disrepair, Now that my husband and I are at the farm we want to bring back the family gatherings and game nights. The floors are in rough shape.
Do we need to remove all of the existing plywood and put on new plywood? Or can we just add new plywood on top of the old plywood after we clean it? Would we lay it in the opposite direction? Would we screw it to the joists or just to the first layer of plywood?
I feel like I have the skill set that I could put on new plywood over the old , but I think I would have to hire someone to remove and replace. Not so sure if I could afford that.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-01-18, 10:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

It shouldn't be a problem to add another layer of plywood. You wouldn't lay the sheets in a different direction but you would stagger the joints. Some say you should just screw to the plywood and not the joists but when I did my house 20+ yrs ago I used long screws to secure the new plywood to the joists and short screws in between the joists.

Old 12-01-18, 11:13 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
plywood have fell into disrepair
I agree you should be able to lay over as long as the wood is not totaly rotted away, same goes for screwing, it it's bad shape then you will have to go all into the joists.

Might also consider finding some tongue and groove plywood, it will add a bit more overall strength!

Old 12-01-18, 11:38 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the quick response. I think this is going to be my Christmas Break project so I wanted to get things ready.

Old 12-02-18, 05:06 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Hard to know without a picture to see just how bad it is.
I'd be using 8D , 1-1/4 ring shanked nails shot with a pneumatic nail gun instead of screws.
It would be 100 times faster and at least that much cheaper.
To do it right the fastners need to be every 4" on the edges and from 6 to 8" in the field,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: