Attic truss has rot

Old 06-10-19, 08:13 PM
Attic truss has rot

The attic truss that is also used to hold the ceiling in my bathroom has rot on it, as well as the wood next to it. The source of the rot was stopped years ago, the damage is still there and looks like some little bugs once took up shop in the damage. This was found after scraping off the ceiling joint compound near a skylight window (top left in the attachment), it was very frail over this area and crumbled off. The length of the rot on the left wood is about 8 inches long, the length of the rot on the truss piece is about 12 inches long and they both have rot going in about 1 inch into the wood (bottom side only) and it can be taken out with a chisel.

I am considering two paths:

1. Scrape off the rot from both of the pieces of wood and apply anti-rot putty to the them, building them back to original shape.

2. Cut out the rotted areas from both wood, insert a new wood into both and nail them together, then sister the truss on the right side.

Are either of these a the better choice?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-19, 09:42 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 212
Hard to tell what we are looking at. Is that the ceiling with b board on it ?
That looks like the bottom of a regular joist..... not a truss.
Interesting framing for the skylight. Is it the skylight that leaked ?

Old 06-11-19, 10:04 AM
Yup, it's the ceiling you're looking at, it's at a 45 degree angle...the wainscoting is the wall behind the sink. Judging by the abundance of silicone around the skylight, it may have been the culprit at some point or it may have been a leak in the roof that was replaced when I moved in.

Old 06-12-19, 09:03 AM
I chiseled off the rot from the boards, the right one is a 2x6 and the left one a 2x8. The right board didn't have much rot. The left one had rot very deep, and after trying to get it out I found the roof shingles are on top of it instead of plywood. I'll be cutting a board, putting wood putty in the left board to straighten it out a bit, screwing them in, and just taking expanding foam to fill in any void. There doesn't seem to be any other damage.

Old 06-12-19, 10:26 AM
Group Moderator
The roof shingle are directly on the framing members with no sheathing ?
That's not good.
What's holding the shingles up ?

Old 06-12-19, 11:11 AM
It looks like there's no sheathing over it, but it is beside it. The shingles appear to be mounted directly to the skylight frame.

Old 06-12-19, 11:34 AM
Group Moderator
We need to here from the pros on this. Roofing is not one of my expertise areas.

Old 06-12-19, 02:43 PM
Looking closer at it, the shingles are going from being on the plywood to being on the skylight 2x8 with no unsupported gaps. It looks like putting plywood on top of the frame would make a bump, so they probably cut around the skylight frame to keep the roof surface even.