Removing a balloon framed load bearing wall

Old 08-10-19, 08:51 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing a balloon framed load bearing wall

I am in the very early stages of a kitchen remodel in my two-story 1920 balloon framed house, including removing a wall to the adjacent family room, which I believe was added onto the house in the 70s. The span of the opening is a little over 9 feet, and directly below is the stone foundation (since this was originally an exterior wall, and the pass-through opening must have been a window at one time). If you'll notice, the cripple studs are notched for the ribbon/ledger, and I imagine they continue all the way up to the roof.

My plan is to build the temporary wall a foot or so out into the room supporting the floor joists, remove ribbon and studs, and install a double 2x10 LVL beam with a three 2x4s as posts. Does this seem reasonable? Would the exterior 2nd floor wall and roof be supported by the temporary wall?

Images below:
https://imgur.com/a/ZhIUKd2

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-19, 07:38 AM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

A couple of things to confirm...

What is directly above and directly below those suggested posts and beam?
You did not list location, so snow load or other factors you need to talk to your local inspector.
In general, you want your posts to transfer the load directly down to solid footers (or similar).
More than likely you will need a permit (location dependent of course). When doing so, double check with the inspector on your plans as right or wrong, they will be the one signing off.
The electrical (stove plug?) and the drain pipe, Don't forget that they need to be rerouted before you begin. I've been caught (and lucky) a couple times where I have known I would be relocating a plug or water to a location, but then having to find a way to get it there....

Old 08-12-19, 09:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I'm definitely no stranger to remodeling, so re-routing plumbing and electrical is the least of my concerns. I find this ballon framing somewhat odd, and all the information I've come across deals with modern platform framing. For clarity's sake, here are a couple more pics of the exterior. Hip roof, stucco over 1x12 wood cladding, asphalt roof - rafters are 2x4s, approximately 24" OC. As mentioned before, the enlarged 9ft opening will be between the main part part of the house and the addition.

Above the proposed opening is the exterior wall of the second story (full bathroom, tub is on the opposite side), and below is a 6"x8" sill sitting on top of a massive stone foundation (full basement). The addition has a basement as well (poured foundation, backed up against the stone). So there will be plenty of support from below.

I'm in northern Illinois. So yes, we get a decent bit of snow.

Also, here are the other images from the first post. (I can't seem to edit for some reason)