Raising a sunken floor and window openings

Old 08-19-19, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Raising a sunken floor and window openings

I raised a sunken living room floor and once I installed the new subfloor, I proudly stood upon my achievement, and immediately realized I was now at eye height with the top of my windows...

If I eliminate the cripplers above the headers I can raise the header about 12Ē, solving my short window problem. However, since I raised the sunken floor already, I can no longer get to sole plate of the wall. If I canít get to the sole plate, I canít get to the bottom of the jack studs to remove and install new, continuous jacks. 2 lifelong framing carpenters have told me itís ok to just splice 12Ē onto the existing jack studs to support the header Iíve raised 12Ē, but I donít agree that the header load will transfer down a split jack like it would a continuous jack, so this doesnít sound right to me.

I am also raising the sill of the window, as itís now very low compared to the raised floor. Should I split the jack at the new sill, and then install a split jack on top of the sill to the bottom of the header? I know that is acceptable in some places.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-19, 06:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 176 Posts
You should remove the cripples above the window, cut out the header with a sawzall, leaving your king stud on either side intact. Cut your jack studs off 1 1/2" below where the top of your new window sill plate will be. Remove the old jack stud above your cut. Put a new window sill plate across the opening. Put your new header in as high as you need it to go. Then put your new jack studs on top of your new window sill plate to jack your header up tight. Your jack studs should be nailed in pairs every 16", so they won't be going anywhere.