Need idea to screw / nail to stop squeak

Old 09-25-19, 06:21 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need idea to screw / nail to stop squeak

The subfloor below the carpet is squeaking and need help to fix it. The issue is the joist is right below the base of shelf. There is a gap of 3 inches between the carpet and base of the shelf. How do I put a screw below that ? There is no place to use a hammer or a screw driver to use.

Attached Images  
Old 09-25-19, 07:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
I assuming you are talking about putting a screw in the toe kick area (the recessed area underneath the cabinetry)? You would have to angle a screw in there and be sure you hit the joist. Even then it may not fix it because squeaks are usually caused by a nail that missed the mark and it is squeeking as you walk past... like pulling a straw in and out of a fountain soda lid. Unless you pull the offending nail it will often keep doing it. Pulling the carpet back is an option.

Google: Squeeeek no more screws.

Old 09-26-19, 06:10 AM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
To Further Xsleeper's comment, I've also seen the squeak be caused by flexing or sub floor. If the squeak is coming from the floor under the carpet, and you have access to the underside of that room, might be worth taking a look at the under side of the floor while someone walks around to see if it moves.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: