Lintels/Headers parallel to floor joists

Old 10-11-19, 06:59 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lintels/Headers parallel to floor joists

Hi I am an architecture student who does building permits on the side.

If a window header has floor joist running perpendicular to it then it obviously is picking up the loads of the floor, and in this case the roof and ceiling above. But what about if the floor joists are running parallel to a window header? Would it only be picking up the loads from the ceiling/roof and not the floor? The Ontario Building Code which I use here in my home province does not seem to distinguish between the two conditions.

Thanks,
Michael

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-19, 05:31 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
You are correct. If the joists are not bearing above the header then the header is not carrying the load of those joists. I believe building codes don't make the distinction for simplicity sake.

Old 10-12-19, 08:13 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Interesting, I just submit a drawing package for a preliminary review at the city and they flagged the header, requesting information on how I sized it. It is definitely undersized if it were to take loads of 1 storey plus roof and ceiling, but oversized if it only picks up the loads from the ceiling and roof. Maybe the issue is that it is picking up the loads from the ceiling, roof, plus the brick veneer siding for the second storey, but not the floor joists. Or perhaps they are just generalizing conditions as the Building Code does.

Im not sure if I will be able to provide any updates as the client is considering backing down based off other zoning restrictions that came up during the review.