Porch Posts

Old 10-16-19, 07:11 PM
G
Gen
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Porch Posts

At a particular property, we want to replace 3 posts in the front porch area. The porch is an overhang about 8 ft wide x 16 ft long and attached to the house.

The bottom sits on concrete, which I'm ok with. The top of the posts appear to terminate at painted plywood on the underside of the over hang.

How do I remove or extract from the top side to replace them? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-19, 07:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 722 Votes on 668 Posts
Hard to tell. We don't know if they end at the plywood or go up farther. But in short, you would probably need to build a temporary wall underneath the front of the overhang, or even jack the porch up slightly to relieve any pressure on the posts before cutting them out and replacing the one at a time.

For longer lasting posts, you usually want to set the posts on Simpson post bases. They elevate the post off the concrete so that it isn't constantly sitting on wet concrete.

Old 10-17-19, 06:24 AM
G
Gen
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
So...would it be correct that I have to detach the plywood near the post to see how they are attached to the structure, and then go from there?

Old 10-17-19, 06:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 722 Votes on 668 Posts
Not necessarily. I would probably put a 4x4 on top of a bottle jack, put it next to the post and do some jacking. Then wiggle the post and break the caulking and paint at the top of that post. Then see if you can bend the post out of the way or not. If you can, it's probably only up there 1/2" or so and there is no need to remove plywood.

Keep in mind that the post might be set on top of a pin to prevent it from kicking out.